When an Electric field does work on a charge, which equation should i use?

In summary, when a positive charge, q, is inside a positive electric field and the field does work on the charge by taking it from point A to B, the equation to use is W= - (delta V) x (q) [V=voltage W=work done by field q=charge]. However, there is also the possibility of using W= + (delta V) x (q) depending on the convention. This can be researched further for confirmation.
khamaar
Consider an positive electric field and a positive charge, q inside this field. Suppose the FIELD does work on this charge and takes it from point A to B. Now i am trying to figure out what sign i have to put with this work..

which equation should i use here?

W= - (delta V) x (q) [V=voltage W=work done by field q=charge]

W= + (delta V) x (q)Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm trying to remember what the convention is...positive charge in a positive field...negative, but I'm not absolutely sure on that...that probably something you could google.

1. What is the equation for calculating the work done by an electric field on a charge?

The equation for calculating the work done by an electric field on a charge is W = qEd, where W is the work done, q is the charge, E is the electric field strength, and d is the displacement of the charge.

2. How do I know if an electric field is doing work on a charge?

If the charge is moving in the same direction as the electric field, then the electric field is doing positive work on the charge. If the charge is moving in the opposite direction of the electric field, then the electric field is doing negative work on the charge.

3. Can I use the same equation for both positive and negative charges?

Yes, the equation for calculating work done by an electric field on a charge can be used for both positive and negative charges. The only difference is the direction of the work, which can be positive or negative depending on the direction of the charge's movement.

4. What are the units for the variables in the work equation?

The units for work (W) are joules (J), the units for charge (q) are coulombs (C), the units for electric field (E) are newtons per coulomb (N/C), and the units for displacement (d) are meters (m).

5. Is there a specific order in which I should calculate the variables in the work equation?

Yes, the order in which the variables should be calculated is q multiplied by E, and then multiplied by d. This will give you the work done by the electric field on the charge.