When do friction forces stop acting?

In summary: This is because static friction will always adjust to match the applied force (up to its maximum value) in order to prevent motion. This is known as the principle of equilibrium. In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of kinetic and static friction and how they work in relation to applied forces and the net force on an object. It also touches on the idea of equilibrium, where the forces acting on an object are balanced and it remains at rest.
Starby
Another classic case of "I understand it in reality, but on paper it just makes no sense and I'm confused".

There is an object sliding north on a surface where the normal is 10N. The co-efficient for kinetic friction for the surface is 0.5. Simple math will tell me that the force of friction acting in the opposite direction (south) will be 0.5*10N = 5N. There's also the co-efficient for static friction for when the object isn't moving. Let's say it has the value of 0.6. So I need 6N to overcome static friction and make the object even budge. Everything makes perfect sense so far.

But what happens when a force applied isn't strong enough? Would there be a net force in some direction even though the object isn't moving? What happens in the moments when the object stops on its own (read below)?

t0 - Object has force 10N north. It slides across the surface.
t1 - The object is now moving very slowly due to friction, it's just about to stop.
t2 - The force North acting on the object is maybe 4N now. That isn't enough to continue, so the object stops. But what happens to the net force? Is it reduced to 0? If so, what makes it reduce to 0?

If I apply a weaker force than the static force the object doesn't move. What is resisting my force. For the cases where I push with a size not large enough, does friction resist with an equal force in the opposite direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Starby said:
For the cases where I push with a size not large enough, does friction resist with an equal force in the opposite direction?
Exactly. Realize that ##\mu_s N## is the maximum value of static friction. Static friction will adjust to prevent slipping between surfaces (up to its limit); it can vary from 0 to the max value, as needed.

Starby said:
t2 - The force North acting on the object is maybe 4N now. That isn't enough to continue, so the object stops. But what happens to the net force? Is it reduced to 0? If so, what makes it reduce to 0?

The object will not stop immediately when the force drops to 4N. Remember that the net force only causes a deceleration and Force does not equal to motion.

But back to your question about friction: say the pushing force experienced by the object is 4N (at t2). The net force is now -1N. By Newton's second law, the object slows down and comes to a stop eventually. During this time, assuming the force remains at 4N, the kinetic friction is still 5N in the opposite direction up till the point where the object comes to a complete stop, then static friction kicks in, taking the value of 4N so that the net force on the object is now 0N and the object is unable to move further.

Starby said:
If I apply a weaker force than the static force the object doesn't move. What is resisting my force. For the cases where I push with a size not large enough, does friction resist with an equal force in the opposite direction?

Yes, if you apply a weaker force than the maximum static friction, then the magnitude of the static friction is simply the same magnitude as the applied force, such that the net force on the object is zero and the object remains at rest.

1) When do friction forces stop acting on an object?

Friction forces can stop acting on an object when the object is no longer in contact with another surface. This can happen when the object comes to a complete stop, or when it reaches a point where there is no longer enough force to overcome the friction.

2) Do friction forces ever completely disappear?

No, friction forces never completely disappear. Even when an object is at rest, there is still a small amount of static friction acting on it. Additionally, there is always some amount of air resistance or fluid resistance that is acting as a form of friction on the object.

3) How does the amount of friction change over time?

The amount of friction can change over time depending on the surface materials, temperature, and other factors. For example, if two surfaces are initially smooth, but then become rougher over time, the friction between them will increase.

4) Can friction forces be eliminated?

Friction forces can be reduced, but they cannot be completely eliminated. Some methods for reducing friction include using lubricants, polishing surfaces, or reducing the weight of the object.

5) What is the relationship between friction and motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion, meaning that it acts in the opposite direction of an object's movement. The amount of friction present can affect an object's motion, slowing it down or even stopping it altogether.