When integrating by trig substitution why do you use what you use?

In summary, Wolfram Alpha gets the correct substitution for the trig functions, depending on the integrand. If the integrand contains a sum or difference of squares, x2 + a2, x2 - a2, or a2 - x2, then trig substitution works as expected and produces the correct answer. If the integrand contains the square root of one of these expressions, then trig substitution produces the correct answer using the right triangle model described above.
brandy
when integrating by trig substitution why do you use what you use??

for example int. (1+x^2)^0.5 dx

why do you use x= tan u
i mean obviously because it works, but if you didn't know it works how would you figure it out?

i would think that you should use x=sinh u
but I've been trying that and its not what wolfram alpha gets.

Physics news on Phys.org

Both works,
Let [tex]x=\sinh u,\ dx=\cosh udu[/tex]
[tex]\int\sqrt{1+x^2}\ dx[/tex]
[tex]=\int\cosh^2udu[/tex]
[tex]=\int\tfrac12(1+\cosh2u)du[/tex]
[tex]=\tfrac12u+\tfrac14\sinh2u+c[/tex]
[tex]=\tfrac12\sinh^{-1}x+\tfrac12x\sqrt{1+x^2}+c[/tex]
Exactly what Wolfram got.

oh. haha. i just can't do maths is all.
haha,
thanks anyway.

sorry, how did you sub u into sinh(2u)
isnt that just sinh(2sinh^-1(x)?
how did you simplify?

Last edited:

First, since this has nothing to do with differential equations, I am moving this thread to "Calculus and Analysis".

Second, the idea for all the trig functions is that
[tex]sin^2(u)+ cos^2(u)= 1[/itex]
and its variations:
dividing through by [itex]cos^2(u)[/itex]
[tex]tan^(u)+ 1= sec^2(u)[/tex]
and dividing through instead by [itex]sin^2(u)[/itex]
[tex]1+ cot^2(u)= csc^2(u)[/tex]

Since [itex]sin^(u)+ cos^2(u)= 1[/itex] can also be written as [itex]cos^2(u)= 1- sin^2(u)[/itex], replacing the x is [itex]1- x^2[/itex] sin(u) gives a "square", [itex]cos^2(u)[/itex] allowing us to get rid of the square root:
[tex]\int\sqrt{1- x^2} dx= \int \sqrt(1- sin^2(u))(cos(u) du)= \int\sqrt{cos^2(u)}(cos(u)du)= \int cos^2(u)du[/tex]

Similarly because [itex]sec^2(u)= 1+ tan^2(u)[/tex] any "[itex]1+ x^2[/itex]", with [itex]x= tan(u)[/tex], becomes [itex]sec^2(u)[/itex].

The hyperbolic functions also work because
[tex]cosh^2(u)- sinh^2(u)= 1[/tex]
etc.

thanks guys!

Trig substitutions are very helpful when the integrand contains a sum or difference of squares: x2 + a2, x2 - a2, or a2 - x2, and especially when the integrand contains the square root of one of these three. I'll focus on integrands with the square root of one of these three expressions, but the idea is more general than that.

Rather than memorize which trig substitution goes with which form, I draw a right triangle and label the sides and hypotenuse in accordance with the expression I'm dealing with. I label the acute angle θ.

[tex]\sqrt{x^2 + a^2}[/tex]

This expression represents the hypotenuse of the right triangle. You can label the two other sides as x and a in either combination, but most texts label the altitude as x and the base as a. This gives tan(θ) = x/a, or a tan(θ) = x. From this substitution you can get the relationships between the differentials: dx = a sec2(θ)dθ and another relationship that involves the radical; namely, sec(θ) = sqrt(x2 + a2)/a, or a*sec(θ) = sqrt(x2 + a2).

[tex]\sqrt{x^2 - a^2}[/tex]
Here the radical suggests that it represents one of the sides of the triangle, with x being the length of the hypotenuse and sqrt(x2 - a2) being one of the sides. Many texts pick the altitude for this value and label the base as a.

This gives cos(θ) = a/x, or equivalently, sec(θ) = x/a, or a sec(θ) = x. From this you get dx = a sec(θ) tan(θ) dθ. An expression involving the radical is a*tan(θ) = sqrt(x2 - a2).

[tex]\sqrt{a^2 - x^2}[/tex]
This is similar the one above, but the hypotenuse is labelled a. The two sides can be labelled as x and sqrt(a2 - x2) in either way, but most often I've seen it with the altitude labelled as x and the base labelled with the radical.

This gives sin(θ) = x/a, or a sin(θ) = x, so dx = a cos(θ) dθ. An expression for the radical is cos(θ) = sqrt(a2 - x2)/a, so a*cos(θ) = sqrt(a2 - x2)

Mark44 very nice explanation

I have all these combinations of quadratic binomials worked out
in detail on the 2nd page of Calculus Tables041111 at
www.scribd.com/pfreda

1. Why do we use trigonometric substitution when integrating?

Trigonometric substitution is used because it allows us to convert a complicated integral involving algebraic expressions into a simpler integral involving trigonometric functions. This makes it easier to solve the integral using known trigonometric identities and techniques.

2. How do we choose which trigonometric substitution to use?

The choice of trigonometric substitution depends on the form of the integral. Generally, we choose the substitution that will eliminate the square root or turn the algebraic expression into a trigonometric expression that we can integrate easily.

3. What are the most commonly used trigonometric substitutions?

The most commonly used trigonometric substitutions are the three basic substitutions: sine, cosine, and tangent. These are used when the integrand involves expressions of the form √(a² - x²), √(x² - a²), and √(x² + a²).

4. Can we use more than one trigonometric substitution in an integral?

Yes, it is possible to use more than one trigonometric substitution in an integral. This may be necessary when the integrand contains multiple square roots or when none of the basic substitutions work. In such cases, we can combine different substitutions to simplify the integral.

5. Are there any special cases where trigonometric substitution cannot be applied?

Yes, there are certain cases where trigonometric substitution cannot be used. These include integrals involving irrational expressions such as √(x² + a²), where a is a non-zero constant. In such cases, other integration techniques such as u-substitution or integration by parts may be used.