1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When the sun stop radiating

1. Sep 2, 2007 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How does the temperature of the earth change when the sun suddenly stop radiating?:confused:
    how will the temperature vary with time? Please help me solve this one. can we answer this one using models or simply through theories? can you explain how?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2007 #2
    I think one useful equation is Newton's law for heat transfer, or it may be called Fourier's law for uniform temperature distribution or smth. similar. Anyway, it says that the rate of change of temperature of proportional to the difference between the object and its surroundings, mathematically

[tex]\frac{dT}{dt} = -k (T-T_0)[/tex]

where T_0=4 K is the background temperature of the cosmos and k is a constant, depending on various heat properties of the Earth.
  4. Sep 2, 2007 #3
    but, I guess you also need to consider the time, it takes EMs to reach the earth
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?