When you measure an entangled particle is it obeying a symmetry law?

In summary: But it's really just a convenient notation for talking about the two spins' relative orientations. So if you want to talk about whether the two spins are in the same or opposite directions, you would use the terms "up" and "down" instead. In the photon case, are you using u and d to refer to helicity or to polarization?I assume the OP is asking about spin, say spin 1/2, in which case |uu>+|dd> is... well, it's spin 1/2 plus spin 1/2. But it's really just a convenient notation for talking about the two spins' relative orientations. So if
Bi-Curious
Why is it so important to the universe that if you measure the spin of an entangled pair and its up then the other particle must be down.

It seems to have no practical use so why does the universe enforce this rule, how would reality differ if it wasn't true.

And is it a law of symmetry that leads to a conservation law?

Physics news on Phys.org
the conservation of spin?

Bi-Curious said:
Why is it so important to the universe that if you measure the spin of an entangled pair and its up then the other particle must be down.

It seems to have no practical use so why does the universe enforce this rule, how would reality differ if it wasn't true.

It's conservation of angular momentum, a principle that is just as fundamental in classical mechanics - for example, it's needed to solve the problem of planetary motion.

The underlying symmetry is invariance under rotations.

The core is rotational symmetry.

To understand why you need advanced math.

If you have the necessary background Chapter 3 of Ballentine - Quantum Mechanics - A Modern Development will provide the detail.

Even Classical Mechanics can be viewed this way - See Landau - Mechanics:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0750628960/?tag=pfamazon01-20

When people see this for the first time it can be rather striking - as one review of that book said:
'If physicists could weep, they would weep over this book. The book is devastatingly brief whilst deriving, in its few pages, all the great results of classical mechanics.' and 'The reason for the brevity is that, as pointed out by previous reviewers, Landau derives mechanics from symmetry.'

It's a strange but true fact, possibly the greatest discovery physics has ever made, that symmetry is what underlies much of physics:
http://www.pnas.org/content/93/25/14256.full

At the rock bottom level, when you strip the math bare physics is actually beauty incarnate - but unless you know the technical details its hidden. It was ushered in during the 19th century by a, today, little known program, but at the time very influential, called the Erlangen program:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erlangen_program

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the statement true? If the entangled state is |UU>+|DD> then if a measurement finds one spin in the up state, the other spin will also be up.

atyy said:
Is the statement true? If the entangled state is |UU>+|DD> then if a measurement finds one spin in the up state, the other spin will also be up.

If that is the entangled state yes (neglecting the normalisation factor).

It's the wrong way around for the usual photon version though. They have 1/root 2 |u>|d> + 1/root 2 |d>|u>. Its entangled in up and down - they must be opposite from the way that experiment is constructed - the total spin must sum to zero - but we don't know which is which - is the first up and the second down or conversely. It's an entangled superposition of the two. When you observe one it determines the other. But I would use the term strange correlations like Bertlmanns socks:
http://cds.cern.ch/record/142461/files/198009299.pdf

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
bhobba said:
If that is the entangled state yes (neglecting the normalisation factor).

It's the wrong way around for the usual photon version though. They have 1/root 2 |u>|d> + 1/root 2 |d>|u>. Its entangled in up and down - they must be opposite from the way that experiment is constructed - the total spin must sum to zero - but we don't know which is which - is the first up and the second down or conversely. It's an entangled superposition of the two. When you observe one it determines the other. But I would use the term strange correlations like Bertlmanns socks:
http://cds.cern.ch/record/142461/files/198009299.pdf

Thanks
Bill

At least theoretically, one can violate a Bell inequality with |UU>+|DD>. An example is given in http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/preskill/ph229/notes/chap4.pdf (Eq 4.1, 4.41, 4,42).

atyy said:
At least theoretically, one can violate a Bell inequality with |UU>+|DD>. An example is given in http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/preskill/ph229/notes/chap4.pdf (Eq 4.1, 4.41, 4,42).

I haven't gone through the paper, it doesn't particularly interest me. It may Dr Chinese though - he is really keen on that sort of stuff.

But if it was possible to do that, even theoretically, it would be big news.

Because of that I find it highly unlikely.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
I haven't gone through the paper, it doesn't particularly interest me. It may Dr Chinese though - he is really keen on that sort of stuff.

But if it was possible to do that, even theoretically, it would be big news.

Because of that I find it highly unlikely.

Thanks
Bill

In the photon case, are you using u and d to refer to helicity or to polarization?

I assume the OP is asking about spin, say spin 1/2, in which case |uu>+|dd> is legitimate.

If you have two entangled spin-1/2 particles entangled in the Bell state [itex]|\phi^{+}> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(|\uparrow\uparrow>+|\downarrow\downarrow>)[/itex] (I am assuming here that you are familiar with bra-ket notation), a measurement on one of the particles yields the state of the second particle via the partial inner product.

For example, if the first particle is measured to be in the spin-up state [itex]|\psi> = |\uparrow>[/itex], then the resulting state of the second particle is given by the partial inner product [itex]<\psi|\phi^{+}> = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}|\uparrow>[/itex].

Ignoring the [itex]1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] normalization factor, this tells you that the second particle must be in a spin-up state.

Based on what I have said previously, all entangled states of particles must exhibit this type of behavior - that is, measurement on one of the particles will affect the physical state of the other. What your question appears to be asking is, what would happen if entanglement was not possible in this universe?

In that case, physics would be restricted to separable states. By definition, separable states are all quantum states which are non-entangled. For the case of a single particle, there would be no discernible difference between standard quantum theory and your theory, as entanglement is only possible between multiple quantum objects (such as two particles).

However, for multiple objects things really break down, and we actually do need these entangled states to correctly describe reality.

Likes 1 person
Bi-Curious said:

Entanglement is not always about conservation laws or symmetry. In the general case, entanglement occurs whenever you produce particles whose states are correlated. And particles become correlated whenever they interact. So entanglement is the general case of interacting particles. Correlated spins is just the most stark example.

Likes 1 person
So the premise of the question is wrong - measuring one spin in an entangled pair does not mean the other in the pair will be measured to have the opposite spin. I agree with OQS's post #10 and stevendaryl's post #11.

atyy said:
So the premise of the question is wrong - measuring one spin in an entangled pair does not mean the other in the pair will be measured to have the opposite spin. I agree with OQS's post #10 and stevendaryl's post #11.

I don't think it's so much that the premise of the question is wrong as that it is limited to the particular case that OP was asking about. It seems most likely that he's thinking about the most often discussed case of spin correlations, the one where a single interaction gives rise to an entangled pair with opposite spins.

A bit of a digression: how would an experimenter go about preparing the state |U1>|U2>+|D1>|D2> ?

Nugatory said:
I don't think it's so much that the premise of the question is wrong as that it is limited to the particular case that OP was asking about. It seems most likely that he's thinking about the most often discussed case of spin correlations, the one where a single interaction gives rise to an entangled pair with opposite spins.

But if that's the case, there is no symmetry that prevents |uu>+|dd>.

Nugatory said:
A bit of a digression: how would an experimenter go about preparing the state |U1>|U2>+|D1>|D2> ?

Off the top of my head, I don't know.

atyy said:
But if that's the case, there is no symmetry that prevents |uu>+|dd>.

Of course there isn't - but OP's question was why the spins must be opposite in the experiment he's been reading about. I'm inclined to think it's best to nail that answer down before introducing other thought experiments in which the initial premise would be stated differently.

Nugatory said:
Of course there isn't - but OP's question was why the spins must be opposite in the experiment he's been reading about. I'm inclined to think it's best to nail that answer down before introducing other thought experiments in which the initial premise would be stated differently.

So if the state is |ud> + |du>, why do you say that it is angular momentum conservation that makes the measured spins point oppositely?

Nugatory said:

Don't have a specific setup in mind, but in general I don't think it's that difficult at least conceptually. What you have to do is make sure there is something else involved in the entanglement scheme that can take up the extra spin. Since you either have two spin up or no spin up, spin is not conserved by the photons themselves, but if the photons are coupled to let's say two atoms, that could also be in either spin state there is no problem with that. One could maybe imagine creating the photons in some cavity QED experiment with strong coupling between atoms and photons, and with the atoms prepared in a clever way, and then not care about the atomic state after the photons have been emitted.

atyy said:
So if the state is |ud> + |du>, why do you say that it is angular momentum conservation that makes the measured spins point oppositely?

Because the preparation procedure relied on conservation laws to produce that state. That was also the point of my (somewhat rhetorical) question about how you would prepare |uu> + |dd>. Zarqon's reply
Zarqon said:
Don't have a specific setup in mind, but in general I don't think it's that difficult at least conceptually. What you have to do is make sure there is something else involved in the entanglement scheme that can take up the extra spin. Since you either have two spin up or no spin up, spin is not conserved by the photons themselves, but if the photons are coupled to let's say two atoms, that could also be in either spin state there is no problem with that. One could maybe imagine creating the photons in some cavity QED experiment with strong coupling between atoms and photons, and with the atoms prepared in a clever way, and then not care about the atomic state after the photons have been emitted.
makes this point clear.

@Nugatory, yes I agree that angular momentum is important in the state preparation, and also with Zarqon's point that |uu> + |dd> is in principle be doable, though I don't know how easy it is in practice.

Another thought: in the photon case, the analogue of spins is the polarization. Isn't the |+->+|-+> state the same as |hh>+|vv>, which is the analogue of |uu>+|dd>? Eg. http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/preskill/ph229/notes/chap4.pdf Eq 4.26 and 4.27?

Last edited:
Nugatory said:

You mean where the polarization is the same for 2 photons measured at the same angle?

You can do that with Type I PDC (2 crystals). Type II is opposite polarization.

Likes Truecrimson

1. What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a quantum phenomenon in which two or more particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them.

2. How do you measure entangled particles?

Entangled particles are typically measured by observing the properties of one particle and then inferring the properties of the other particle through correlations in their entangled states.

3. What is a symmetry law?

A symmetry law is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the laws of nature should remain the same under certain transformations, such as rotation, translation, or time reversal.

4. How does entanglement relate to symmetry laws?

Entanglement is believed to be a manifestation of a symmetry law known as the conservation of entanglement, which states that the total amount of entanglement in a closed system cannot increase or decrease over time.

5. Why is it important to study entanglement and symmetry laws?

Studying entanglement and symmetry laws is important because it can help us better understand the fundamental principles of the universe and potentially lead to new technologies, such as quantum computing and secure communication.