Where can I get dirt cheap servos?

• Thread starter jehan60188
  • Start date
In summary, the best way to find dirt cheap servos is by searching online, either on specialized websites or online marketplaces. While physical stores may have discounted servos, it is more common to find them online. When purchasing dirt cheap servos, it is important to consider the quality, brand, and compatibility with your project. It is possible to find high-quality servos at a discounted price, but it is important to do research and read reviews before making a purchase. Whether it is worth it to buy dirt cheap servos depends on your specific needs and budget.
jehan60188
I'm tired of blinking-LED programs, so I figure I'd experiment with a shift register (74HC595) and after reading about it a bit, it seems like I can use 3 of them on one arduino to control 18 (24, actually, I guess) servos.

the magic number is 18, since that's how many articulation points are on a hexapod.

anyways, the cheapest I can find is 2.65 each, which still puts me at almost $50 for motors alone! After additional hardware, the platform could be pushing $100, which is more than I want to spend >_<

can anyone beat that price?
thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org

I understand your frustration with the high cost of the servos for your project. Have you considered using cheaper alternatives such as hobby servos or continuous rotation servos? These can be found for as low as $2-3 each and can still provide movement for your hexapod. Additionally, you could look into using 3D printed or DIY servo brackets to further reduce costs.

Another option could be to use a microcontroller with more output pins, such as the Teensy 3.2 which has 34 pins, allowing you to control more servos without the need for shift registers. This could potentially save you money in the long run.

It's also worth mentioning that there are many online resources and forums dedicated to DIY robotics and hexapod projects where you may be able to find cost-saving tips and advice from other hobbyists.

I hope these suggestions help you in finding a more affordable solution for your project. Best of luck!

Related to Where can I get dirt cheap servos?

1. How can I find dirt cheap servos?

The best way to find dirt cheap servos is by searching online. There are many websites that specialize in selling discounted or used servos at a lower price than traditional retail stores. You can also check out online marketplaces or forums where individuals may be selling their used servos at a lower cost.

2. Are there any physical stores that sell dirt cheap servos?

While it is possible to find discounted servos at physical stores, it is more common to find them online. However, you can try visiting hobby shops or electronic stores in your area to see if they have any sales or clearance items available.

3. What factors should I consider when purchasing dirt cheap servos?

When buying dirt cheap servos, it is important to consider the quality, brand, and compatibility with your project. Make sure to read reviews and do some research on the brand to ensure you are getting a good deal on a reliable product.

4. Can I trust the quality of dirt cheap servos?

It ultimately depends on the brand and seller, but it is possible to find high-quality servos at a discounted price. Make sure to read reviews and do your research before making a purchase. You can also look for reputable brands or sellers that offer warranties or return policies to ensure the quality of the product.

5. Is it worth it to buy dirt cheap servos?

This depends on your specific needs and budget. If you are on a tight budget and need servos for a small project, then purchasing dirt cheap servos may be a good option. However, if you need servos for a more complex or important project, it may be worth investing in higher quality and more expensive servos to ensure their reliability and durability.