Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where did all the anti matter go to?

1. Oct 3, 2007 #1
    Where did all the anti matter go to??

hi all

i have read dozens of articles on anti matter, but my question is.. is it all true???
    is it true tht antimatter has been found?
    where was it found??
    why didnt tht bit of anti matter destroy the matter??
    where did all the anti matter go to??
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I can answer your last question:

Well, it's not really an answer. However, this question, or more specifically the question of why the laws of physics favour matter over antimatter, is currently one of the open questions in physics and is thus being researched at the moment.

I'm sure someone else will have something else to say about your other questions.
  4. Oct 3, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes it is true.

Antimatter is produced in for example radioactive decays (beta minus is electron, beta plus is positron; electrons anti particle)

Antimatter is detected when it meets its corresponding particle, photons are beeing created; and those we detect.

There are very intersting that the universe is made up of matter; there should be created equal amounts; but somehow, a tiny tiny bit more ordinary matter was created.
  5. Oct 4, 2007 #4
    Actually yes,Antimatter or better to say Antihydrogen has produced but we are still not able to tarp and save it and we've just recorded the annihilation of antiatoms in traps.
    But many scientists work very hard to reach this valuable point.
    There is a department in CERN named AD(antiproton Decelerator) which work on this project, for more info about the progress you can go to http://athena.web.cern.ch/athena/

There is no natural antimatter on earth but scientists are not 100% sure about the whole universe.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  6. Oct 8, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The thing I reffered to was antiparticles. Anitmatter is propably defined as bound states of antiparticles. or?
  7. Oct 9, 2007 #6
    Antimatter is just the general name for antiparticles. It doesn't have to be bound states. A large collection of positron 'gas' will not be in a bound state but it will still be a lot of antimatter.
  8. Oct 9, 2007 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Great then I did not make an error in my first reply ;)
  9. Oct 18, 2007 #8
    Well, what about the CP violation? Does´t it solve the problem of the abundance of matter?
  10. Oct 18, 2007 #9
    Not in and of itself, no. CP violation allows such an asymmetry; but, it doesn't guarantee it. You still need some mechanism to generate the asymmetry.
  11. Oct 18, 2007 #10
    Ohh, I understand. May be the question is then what exactly cause the CP violation? Can the foundation of both problems be the same, or in other words, can the CP violation occur because of the mechanism which generates the asymmetry?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?