Where Did I Go Wrong In Solving This PDE?

• Thread starter ColdFusion85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the conversation discusses a 1-D wave equation problem with fixed ends, no initial velocity, and initial displacement of 2sin(\pi x) on the interval 0<x<4, t>0. The person has attached their work and has a c_n value of 0 based on integration, but is unsure if they made any errors. They receive advice to move the thread to the Differential Equations section for better help. A question is also raised about why the sign was switched when calculating T^{\prime \prime} + \frac{9 n^2 \pi ^2}{16} T = 0. Finally, it is suggested that since C4= 2, all other Cn=
ColdFusion85
It is a 1-D wave equation problem with fixed ends, no initial velocity, and initial displacement of [tex]2sin(\pi x)[/tex] on the interval 0<x<4, t>0.

See my attached documents of my work. I end up with a c_n value of 0 based on the integration. I am pretty confident I set up the problem correctly as it follows a similar, generalized problem in my class notes. Obviously I used actual numbers in this problem. Can anyone spot any errors in my work? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 407
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

Have you tried to read the thumbnails, ColdFusion85. The quality is poor.

No they aren't. Place your cursor over the picture, the magnifying glass appears. Just click and you will be able to see it fine.

unless you have a mac and then you use SHIFT +

Looking for help again. Can anyone figure out what's wrong?

Try moving this thread to the section Differential Equations...looks like that's what this is. You'll probably have a higher chance of getting help there.

Last edited:
At the end of your first page, knowing that [itex] \sqrt{\lambda} = \frac{n \pi}{4} [/itex] you went from
[tex] T^{\prime \prime} - 9 \lambda T = 0 \text{ to } T^{\prime \prime} + \frac{9 n^2 \pi ^2}{16} T = 0[/tex].
Why'd you switch sign?

You have
[tex]\sum C_n Sin(\frac{n\pi x}{4})= 2 Sin(\pi x)[/tex]
for the initial value and then start calculating a complicated Fourier coefficient.

Isn't it obvious that if C4= 2, all other Cn= 0 satisfies that? Since the sines are "orthogonal", your integral should have been 0 for all n except n= 4. You don't need the full sine series when your function is a single sine!

What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to describe relationships between physical quantities in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

Why is solving PDEs important?

Solving PDEs is important because it allows us to study and understand complex systems and phenomena, such as fluid flow, heat transfer, and wave propagation. It also plays a crucial role in developing mathematical models for real-world problems and making predictions about their behavior.

What are some common methods for solving PDEs?

There are various methods for solving PDEs, including separation of variables, the method of characteristics, finite difference methods, and finite element methods. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of PDEs and boundary conditions.

What are some common mistakes made when solving PDEs?

Some common mistakes when solving PDEs include errors in computation, incorrect application of boundary conditions, and mistakes in setting up the problem. It is important to carefully check each step of the solution process and double-check the final answer for accuracy.

How can I improve my skills in solving PDEs?

Practice is key for improving skills in solving PDEs. It is also helpful to understand the underlying theory and concepts, as well as to familiarize oneself with various solution methods. Seeking guidance from experts and working on a variety of problems can also aid in developing proficiency in solving PDEs.