Where did this 1/4*ln(C) term come from when integrating?

In summary: Can you explain?In summary, the given equation is integrated to become \frac{-1}{4} \ln (2-u) \ + \ \frac{1}{4} \ln (2+u) \ = \ln (x) + \frac{1}{4} \ln (c), where the final term \frac{1}{4} \ln (c) is an arbitrary constant of integration chosen to make solving for u more convenient. Any term of the form \frac{1}{k} \ln (c) could have been chosen as long as it is a constant.
dchau503

Homework Statement

The givenequation is this: [tex]
\frac{1}{4} \frac {du}{(2-u)} \ + \ \frac{1}{4} \frac{du}{(2+u)} \ = \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
My book says that when integrated, the above equation becomes [tex]
\frac{-1}{4} \ln (2-u) \ + \ \frac{1}{4} \ln (2+u) \ = \ln (x) + \frac{1}{4} \ln (c) [/tex]

I understand everything except for the final term of the last equation. where did the [itex] \frac{1}{4} \ln (c) [/itex] come from and shouldn't it just be c as the constant of integration?

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{4} \frac {du}{(2-u)} \ + \ \frac{1}{4} \frac{du}{(2+u)} \ = \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{-1}{4} \ln (2-u) \ + \ \frac{1}{4} \ln (2+u) \ = \ln (x) + \frac{1}{4} \ln (c) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Integrating [tex] \frac{dx}{x} [/tex] gives you [tex]\ln(x) + c[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\frac14 \ln c [/itex] is an arbitrary constant. Presumably writing it in that form rather than as [itex]D[/itex] makes solving for [itex]u[/itex] much more convenient.

If [itex]f: U \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] is a surjection, then it is perfectly legitimate to take [itex]f(C)[/itex] for some [itex]C \in U \subset \mathbb{R}[/itex] as a constant of integration rather than [itex]D \in \mathbb{R}[/itex].

So then any term as the constant would make sense? E.g. the book could've used [itex] \frac{1}{8} \ln(c) \text{or}\ 3\ln(c) [/itex] as the last term in the integrated equation? I'm just a little confused how they got [itex] \frac{1}{4} \ln(c) [/itex].

Try using a plain old ##c## for the arbitrary constant and solve for ##u##. What happens then if you replace ##c## with ##\frac 14 \ln c##? You should, I hope, see why that form was chosen.

I got that [tex] u = \frac{2cx^4-2}{1+cx^4} [/tex]. I still don't see why the form was chosen.

Related to Where did this 1/4*ln(C) term come from when integrating?

1. Where does the 1/4*ln(C) term come from when integrating?

The 1/4*ln(C) term comes from integrating the derivative of ln(x), which is 1/x. When integrating 1/x, the constant C is added to the end of the integral. This constant represents the unknown value of the natural logarithm at x=1. Multiplying it by 1/4 is a common practice to simplify the constant and make the equation more clear.

2. Why is the constant C necessary in the integral of ln(x)?

The constant C is necessary because ln(x) is an indefinite integral, meaning that it has infinite possible solutions. The constant C represents all of these possible solutions and allows us to account for them in the integral.

3. Can the constant C be any value in the integral of ln(x)?

Yes, the constant C can be any real number in the integral of ln(x). This is because ln(x) is a logarithmic function, and the inverse of a logarithmic function has an infinite number of possible solutions. Therefore, the constant C can be any value that satisfies the original equation.

4. How does the constant C affect the graph of the integral of ln(x)?

The constant C does not affect the shape of the graph of the integral of ln(x). It only shifts the graph vertically, as the value of C changes. The graph will still have the same concave up shape and asymptote at y=0.

5. Why is the 1/4 coefficient commonly used when integrating ln(x)?

The 1/4 coefficient is commonly used when integrating ln(x) because it simplifies the constant C and makes the equation easier to read. In some cases, using other coefficients may make the equation more complicated or difficult to solve. The 1/4 coefficient is also commonly used in integration by parts when integrating ln(x).