What should I learn to understand quantum physics and mechanics?

• Thread starter misogynisticfeminist
  • Start date
In summary, you need to study calculus of variations, linear algebra, and differential equations in order to understand physics texts. Additionally, you'll need to study basic probability theory.
misogynisticfeminist
Hi,

I actually find that I cannot understand most physics texts because most of them are very mathematical in nature. And I'm wondering what are the steps do I have to take in order to achieve some knowledge on mathematics in order to understand physics texts, especially those on quantum physics and quantum mechanics. I was thinking if like a step-by-step guide can be given, like what do I learn, which is more accessible to what I know now, then what do I learn after that. Like maybe, learn number theory first then abstract algebra? Something like that, thanks for any help, I kinda need it, so when I go to the library, I know what stuff I need, thanks.

Currently, I can do basic calculus, basic differentiation and integration, I am a 16-year old, doing my O levels and I can do, basic calculus, 2nd derivatives, integration and stuff. So where do I go after this? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The catch words:
Vector calculus, linear algebra and differential equations!
You are ready to study these concepts now (I assume you with basic calculus meant one-variable calculus, if you've already proceeded beyond that, sorry about my assumption)

These disciplines are absolutely essential, in addition you'll need to work yourself into basic probability theory.
Calculus of variations and group theory will come in handy as well..

misogynisticfeminist said:
Hi,

I actually find that I cannot understand most physics texts because most of them are very mathematical in nature. And I'm wondering what are the steps do I have to take in order to achieve some knowledge on mathematics in order to understand physics texts, especially those on quantum physics and quantum mechanics. I was thinking if like a step-by-step guide can be given, like what do I learn, which is more accessible to what I know now, then what do I learn after that. Like maybe, learn number theory first then abstract algebra? Something like that, thanks for any help, I kinda need it, so when I go to the library, I know what stuff I need, thanks.

Currently, I can do basic calculus, basic differentiation and integration, I am a 16-year old, doing my O levels and I can do, basic calculus, 2nd derivatives, integration and stuff. So where do I go after this? Thanks

Pick up this text (which I HIGHLY recommend to anyone majoring in physics, engineering, and other physical science):

Mary Boas "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" 2nd Ed. (Wiley).

This text is meant to be studied on one's own, and assumes basic knowledge in college level mathematics at the intro calculus level. The latter chapter will require more mathematical sophistication. It is aimed at students in their 2nd or 3rd year before they are faced with advanced undergraduate classes that require that they know the mathematics that accompany these subjects.

There is an accompanying Students Solution Manual, which I also recommend. In it, she just doesn't show you how to solve a few selected problems, she sometimes EXPLAINS the reason for solving it one way and not the other.

Zz.

P.S. This text contains all of the topics suggested by arildno (except for group theory, which isn't something commonly needed in most areas of the physical sciences). [Y'know, I should get a commission for doing this...]

Last edited:
arildno said:
The catch words:
Vector calculus, linear algebra and differential equations!
You are ready to study these concepts now (I assume you with basic calculus meant one-variable calculus, if you've already proceeded beyond that, sorry about my assumption)

These disciplines are absolutely essential, in addition you'll need to work yourself into basic probability theory.
Calculus of variations and group theory will come in handy as well..

Hey thanks for the help, I'll definitely go catch up on those. Yea, you're right, 1 variable calculus is as far as i can go. And to zapperz, I'm not too sure if libraries here in Singapore have that book, but I'll go look for them.

:smile:

1. Where do I go from here?

This is a common question scientists ask themselves when they reach a certain point in their research or career. The answer is different for everyone, but some suggestions include: setting new goals, collaborating with other scientists, applying for grants, attending conferences, and networking with colleagues.

2. How do I advance in my field?

To advance in your field, it is important to stay up-to-date with current research and make significant contributions to your area of study. This can include publishing papers, presenting at conferences, and developing new ideas and techniques. Building a strong network and collaborating with others can also help advance your career.

3. What are the next steps for my project?

The next steps for a project depend on the specific goals and objectives. It is important to first assess the current state of the project and identify any gaps or areas that need further exploration. From there, a plan can be developed to address these gaps and move the project forward.

4. How can I find funding for my research?

Finding funding for research can be a challenging task. Some options include applying for grants from government agencies, foundations, or private organizations. It may also be helpful to seek out collaborations with other scientists or institutions that have access to funding. Networking and building relationships with potential funders can also increase the chances of securing funding.

5. Should I pursue a career in academia or industry?

This is a personal decision that depends on your interests and career goals. A career in academia may offer more opportunities for research and teaching, while a career in industry may provide opportunities for applying research in a practical setting. It is important to carefully consider your options and choose the path that aligns with your goals and values.