Troubleshooting Physics Homework: Where Do I Go Wrong?

• Thread starter ft92
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the linear velocity of the lowest point on a disk and a hoop using conservation of energy. The distance from the lowest point to the axis of rotation is the key factor in determining the correct answer, which is 0.816*v for the disk and 0.707*v for the hoop.
ft92

Homework Statement

media%2F890%2F890b7412-fcc3-45cd-b501-78515bdfd670%2FphpjjwQAY.png

The Attempt at a Solution

A) for disk,[/B]

let w is the angular speed of the disk at the lowest point.

moment of Inertia of disk about pivot, P = 0.5*M*R^2 + M*R^2

= 1.5*M*R^2

Apply conservation of energy

initial potentila energy = finalkinetic energym*g*R = (1/2)*I*w^2

m*g*R = (1/2)*1.5*m*R^2*w^2

m*g*R = (1/2)*1.5*m*(R^2*w^2)

g*R = (1/2)*1.5*v_disk^2

2*g*R = 1.5*v_disk^2

v_disk = sqrt(2*g*R)/sqrt(1.5)

= 0.816*sqrt(2*g*R)

= 0.816*v <<<<<<------Answer (wrong! and i don't know why)B) for hoop,

let w is the angular speed of the hoop at the lowest point.

moment of Inertia of hoop about pivot, P = M*R^2 + M*R^2

= 2*M*R^2

Apply conservation of energy

initial potentila energy = finalkinetic energym*g*R = (1/2)*I*w^2

m*g*R = (1/2)*2*m*R^2*w^2

m*g*R = (1/2)*2*m*(R^2*w^2)

g*R = (1/2)*2*v_hoop^2

2*g*R = 2*v_hoop^2

v_hoop = sqrt(2*g*R)/sqrt(2)

= 0.707*sqrt(2*g*R)

= 0.707*v <<<<<<------Answer ( wrong and i don't know why)

Physics news on Phys.org
In both the disk and the hoop problem, when you convert angular velocity to linear velocity of the lowest point, you use R as the radius. What is the distance from the lowest point to the axis of rotation?

Likes ft92
andrewkirk said:
In both the disk and the hoop problem, when you convert angular velocity to linear velocity of the lowest point, you use R as the radius. What is the distance from the lowest point to the axis of rotation?
Thanks!I got it!

FAQ: Troubleshooting Physics Homework: Where Do I Go Wrong?

1. How do I know if I am making a mistake in my physics homework?

One common way to detect mistakes in your physics homework is by checking your calculations and equations. Make sure you are using the correct units and that your calculations follow the correct mathematical rules. You can also ask a classmate or teacher to review your work and provide feedback.

2. What should I do if I cannot solve a problem in my physics homework?

If you are struggling to solve a problem in your physics homework, try breaking it down into smaller parts and tackling each part separately. You can also refer to your textbook or class notes for similar examples and solutions. If all else fails, don't be afraid to reach out to your teacher or a tutor for additional help.

3. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts to avoid making mistakes in my homework?

To improve your understanding of physics concepts, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include attending class, taking thorough notes, completing practice problems, and seeking additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials. It is also helpful to form study groups with classmates and discuss challenging concepts together.

4. What should I do if I consistently make mistakes in my physics homework?

If you find yourself constantly making mistakes in your physics homework, it may be helpful to review your study habits and time management skills. Make sure you are setting aside enough time to complete your homework and studying effectively. It may also be beneficial to seek additional help from your teacher, tutor, or classmates.

5. How can I prevent making careless errors in my physics homework?

Careless errors in physics homework can be avoided by double-checking your work and being mindful of your calculations and units. It can also be helpful to take breaks while working on your homework to avoid fatigue and maintain focus. Additionally, practicing regularly and seeking feedback from your teacher can also help improve accuracy and reduce careless errors.

Back