Where do I learn different physics concepts?

In summary, self-study is the best option for someone interested in learning more about particle physics. It is important to have a foundation in lower-level physics before jumping into more theoretical topics.
DaveBF
I am extremely interested in what I assume would be called particle physics. I want to learn all about basically elementary particles and their interactions, however in my high school physics course thus far we have only really gone over simple vectors and such. We aren't even learning about any of the three fundamental forces that aren't gravity (strong, weak and electromagnetic).
I'm wondering when in the education system (I'm in Ontario, Canada) there is a focus on the particle physics I'm talking about, or more 'theoretical' physics, or even more generally what are the main things taught in high school level physics.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you'd need the foundation of the lower physics classes before you could really understand particle physics. University classes will be your best bet.

Be patient, grasshopper.

Self-study is your only real option. You will need to learn a lot of mathematics and quantum physics to understand where the standard model comes from and what the equations mean, but if you would be satisfied to learn about the particles and how they are classified then that is a reasonable short-term goal. I suggest the web as a good starting point, just search for "standard model."

Generally, in American universities, you will start getting into this other stuff probably your junior year of college (and continuing through grad school).

confinement said:
if you would be satisfied to learn about the particles and how they are classified then that is a reasonable short-term goal.

A good starting point for this is the Particle Adventure site, put together by the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory.

Thank you, I just really didn't know what to expect when I enrolled in the physics class, and was rather disappointed when we concentrated on calculating displacements and such.
I suppose I might go into self study, although my current mathematical knowledge is rather limited.
Thanks to you all

1. Where can I find resources to learn about basic physics concepts?

There are many online resources available to learn about basic physics concepts. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics. You can also check out textbooks from your local library or enroll in an online physics course.

2. What are some good books to learn about advanced physics concepts?

Some recommended books for learning advanced physics concepts include "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, "Quantum Physics for Dummies" by Steven Holzner, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. It's also a good idea to consult with a physics professor or expert for personalized recommendations.

3. Are there any YouTube channels or videos that can help me learn physics?

Yes, there are many YouTube channels and videos dedicated to teaching physics concepts. Some popular options include MinutePhysics, Veritasium, and Crash Course Physics. These channels often use visual aids and demonstrations to make complex concepts easier to understand.

4. How can I practice and apply the physics concepts I learn?

One of the best ways to practice and apply physics concepts is by solving practice problems. You can find practice problems in textbooks or online resources, and many also come with solutions so you can check your work. Additionally, performing experiments and participating in hands-on activities can help solidify your understanding of physics concepts.

5. What are some ways to make learning physics more interesting and engaging?

There are many ways to make learning physics more interesting and engaging. Some ideas include watching physics-related documentaries or movies, attending science fairs or lectures, joining a physics club or study group, and conducting your own experiments. Additionally, finding real-world applications of physics concepts and connecting them to your everyday life can make learning more relevant and enjoyable.