Where does this voltage come from?

• Thread starter jean28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the conversation revolved around a question regarding an exercise in an electronics book. The step involved solving for the base-emitter drop of Q1, which was expected to be 0.7V but was measured at 808.574mV. The experts discussed the process of analyzing the circuit and agreed that starting with the assumption of Q1 being on was a reasonable approach. They also mentioned that the diode voltage drop may not always be exactly 0.7V and can depend on various factors. The equation used to solve for the base-emitter drop was also explained.
jean28
Hello guys,

I had a quick question about one of the exercises of my electronics book. Step #1 says that I should do:

(5 - 0.7)/(10 + 101 * 1) = 0.039 mA

However, I can't seem to find where the 0.7V comes from. I simulated the circuit in Multisim and I'm measuring the voltages everywhere and can't seem to find where those 0.7V come from. I even measured Vbe of Q1 and got 808.574mV instead of the 0.7 I am expecting.

Could someone help?

Thank you

Attachments

• example book.png
    example book.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 546
  • example book2.png
    example book2.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 508
Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you reckon is the base-emitter drop of Q1 ?

Likes 1 person
phinds said:

Good point.

phinds said:

I am assuming it is 0.7 V because that is the Vbe when the BJT is active, but could you give a brief the process of how to analyze this circuit?

I would just start with the assumption that Q1 is going to be on. Seems to me everything else follows from there (assuming that the base-emitter drop of Q1 is .7v, which is a reasonable assumption although really it should be part of the problem statement)

EDIT: and of course if things DIDN'T follow from that assumption, then it would have to be considered a bad starting assumption and you'd have to try something else, but since it seems obvious to be likely, it is clearly the place to start, and of course in this case it does work out right.

This is how they developed that equation:

You do KVL from +5 to ground under the 1k ohm resistor. +5-10000(Ib)-0.7-betaIb(1000)=0
Solve this for Ib and you will get (5-0.7)/(10000+101*1000) (in amps)

Multisim used a diode with a different volt drop, not 0.7

BTW, don't expect diode (or base-emitter) voltage drops to be exactly 0.7V every time. It depends on many things... current through the junction, type of diode, etc. For instance, high voltage rectifiers and switching diodes are quite different.

1. Where does this voltage come from?

The voltage in a circuit comes from a combination of sources, depending on the specific circuit. In a battery-powered circuit, the voltage comes from the chemical reactions inside the battery. In a wall outlet, the voltage comes from the power plant that generates electricity. In a solar panel, the voltage comes from the conversion of sunlight into electricity.

2. How is voltage measured?

Voltage is measured using a device called a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the circuit, meaning it is connected across the component or components that are being measured. The unit of measurement for voltage is volts (V).

3. What is the difference between voltage and current?

Voltage and current are both important aspects of electricity, but they are not the same thing. Voltage refers to the potential difference between two points in a circuit, while current is the flow of electric charge. Voltage is measured in volts, while current is measured in amps (A).

4. Can voltage be changed?

Yes, voltage can be changed in a circuit. This can be done by using components such as resistors, capacitors, and transformers, which can alter the voltage in a circuit. Additionally, the voltage can also be changed by using a voltage regulator or by adjusting the power source.

5. Why is voltage important in electricity?

Voltage is important in electricity because it is the driving force that pushes electric charges through a circuit. Without voltage, there would be no current flow and therefore no electricity. Additionally, voltage is used to control the flow of electricity and to power various electronic devices.