Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where is nanotechnology huge?

1. Mar 18, 2009 #1
    Hi

I'm member of a group planning an excursion for nanotechnology students, preferably outside Europe. The trip will last three weeks, including five days with content relevant to micro or nanotechnology. Japan is an obvious alternative, the same is the US (maybe California or NY?), but are there other options?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2009 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you mean by "nanotechnology"?
    The word means different things to different people and is nowadays used to describe everything from biochemistry to deodorants.

4. Mar 18, 2009 #3
    Everything that involves controlling matter on an atomic and molecular scale.

5. Mar 19, 2009 #4

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That narrows it down quite a bit. We are still not very good at controlling matter at that scale; there are well-developed methods that work well down to a few tens of nm but below that you run into all sorts of problems.
    Most of the work being done at the "real" nm scale is more chemistry than physics (and much of it has been around for a long time, they just didn't call it nanotechnology).
    An obvious example would be "molecular motors" etc. There has also been some limited success controlling matter using scanning probe techniques (AFM and STM), that work is interesting but can not really be scaled up.

Don't get me wrong; work IS being done but it is still very much a small niche and it isn't really "huge" anywhere.

6. Mar 19, 2009 #5
    :rofl: Like large-scale miniaturization?

7. Mar 19, 2009 #6

OK, but anyway we are going somewhere, so where is work being done?

8. Mar 19, 2009 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was thinking, nanotechnology is huge in femto-land.

9. Mar 19, 2009 #8

neu

I'm in the london centre for nanotechnology, pop by. I'll show you my scanning probe

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook