Where should I start from, studying physics again?

In summary: If you do finish step 2 relatively fast, then you can start exploring the field of cosmology. You can find a list of materials to learn online, but enrolling in a graduate school may be a better option as you will have access to professors and resources to guide your learning.4) assuming i make myself to look for a graduate school -...Unfortunately, you cannot get accepted to a graduate school with just GRE subject tests. You will need to have a Bachelor's degree in physics or a related field. It is highly unlikely that you will be able to pass the subject tests without a solid foundation in physics and math, so a Bachelor's degree is necessary.5) what do you suggest i do next?In summary,
tin_man
Hello, everyone.
I am a soldier looking forward to be discharged in February.
I have always loved physics since i was very young, just like everyone else here.
I had to go to a community college because somebody had to feed my family. I ended up in the army in my second year, and I have not spend much time studying physics until now.
For years, only the passion grew, and the knowledge faded, though there wasn't much from the beginning.
Now I am financially stable(enough to feed myself without working), I would like to spend the rest of my life studying physics. I think I have done what I could to liberate the oppressed. I believe it is time for me to live for myself. I am not sure whether I want to go back to school, though. I really want some quite moments and seclusion for a while. so i ask -

1) is it possible for me to learn all i can learn about physics online(of course, only the theoretical aspects of it), given enough time and motivation?

2) assuming the above could be done -
i can't seem to remember much of the math and science formulas, though i remember
most of the concepts. where and how should i start to finish the undergraduate level of
elementary physics?

3) assuming i finish the step 2) relatively fast -
I'm interested in cosmology. where can i find the list of materials i need to learn? would it
be better if i enroll in a graduate school?

4) assuming i make myself to look for a graduate school -
can i get accepted to a school with good academic environment with just GRE subject
tests?

5) what do you suggest i do next?

thank you for being so patient to read this far.

Physics news on Phys.org
If your plans involve graduate school, you will need to get a BS first.

I highly doubt you're going to be able to cover even 10% of what you'd need to know to go to physics grad school even in a year on your own. It is NOT high school physics and the amount of math and science you actually need to know is staggering for someone with no college education in the subject. Your best bet would be to enroll in a good state school (I think GIs get tuition assistance at public universities? Plus, a lot of the programs are fantastic) and see how it goes.

No, you cannot get accepted to any graduate school with just the PGRE and at this point in your education, I'm highly skeptical you could even get 200 on it. You need a B.S. OR equivalent education for grad school.

Not to rain on your parade, but you seem to have a few unrealistic expectations about physics and the university process. Please remember that passion alone is not going to carry you through. It is HARD work and will demand a lot of your time. The reason most people take 4 years to finish a physics degree is not because they're lazy and party all the time but because that's usually how much time it takes to learn all the math and physics required, so expecting that you can do it in a semester or a year on your own is setting yourself up for major disappointment. Good luck.

tin_man said:
Hello, everyone.
I am a soldier looking forward to be discharged in February.
I have always loved physics since i was very young, just like everyone else here.
I had to go to a community college because somebody had to feed my family. I ended up in the army in my second year, and I have not spend much time studying physics until now.
For years, only the passion grew, and the knowledge faded, though there wasn't much from the beginning.
Now I am financially stable(enough to feed myself without working), I would like to spend the rest of my life studying physics. I think I have done what I could to liberate the oppressed. I believe it is time for me to live for myself. I am not sure whether I want to go back to school, though. I really want some quite moments and seclusion for a while. so i ask -

Before I start answering your questions, I just want to say thank you for your service.

1) is it possible for me to learn all i can learn about physics online(of course, only the theoretical aspects of it), given enough time and motivation?

While it is "possible," it is not the best way to go about it. I've been learning physics for quite some time now, and I must say that I would have not gotten 1/4 of the way through it had it not been for the people I studied with. Having other students to struggle with and knowledgeable professors to go to with your misconceptions is very important to a physics education.

2) assuming the above could be done -
i can't seem to remember much of the math and science formulas, though i remember
most of the concepts. where and how should i start to finish the undergraduate level of
elementary physics?

You first need to figure out where your math ability lies. If your comfortable with first year calculus then your next step is to find a good introductory, calculus based physics text. (Check the book review forum.) If not, You should probably first focus on getting back up to speed with your math.

However, I highly recommend signing up for classes, even if you never decide to go back to school full time. Even the best of the best struggle and need the support of others who have been through it or who are going through it.

3) assuming i finish the step 2) relatively fast -
I'm interested in cosmology. where can i find the list of materials i need to learn? would it
be better if i enroll in a graduate school?

I know I'm sounding like a broken record:

Physics, especially the more advanced you go, is always easier to learn in an environment filled with other physicists.

4) assuming i make myself to look for a graduate school -
can i get accepted to a school with good academic environment with just GRE subject
tests?

No. Sorry.

5) what do you suggest i do next?

If you are serious about interest in graduate school in physics: Apply to a good state school and start learning physics! Use the financial aid GI's get, and get as strong of a physics education as you can for as little money as possible!

thank you for being so patient to read this far.

No problem. All of my answers have an obvious theme in common. Wanting some quite and seclusion in your life is, of course, something you are entitled to after service. However, the truth of the matter is that it is very hard to learn physics on your own just from reading books. Having people to go to with problems you can't solve or concepts you don't understand is essential.

Last edited:

Hello, and thank you for reaching out. I commend you for your dedication to studying physics and your service to your country. To answer your questions:

1) Yes, it is possible to learn a significant amount about physics online, but it may not be enough to replace a formal education. Online resources can provide a good foundation and supplement your learning, but it may be beneficial to also enroll in a formal program or take courses at a community college or university.

2) If you want to finish the undergraduate level of physics, I would recommend starting with a review of basic mathematics, including algebra, calculus, and trigonometry. From there, you can move on to more advanced physics subjects such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. You can find online resources and textbooks to help guide your learning. It may also be helpful to reach out to a physics professor or tutor for guidance and support.

3) For cosmology, I recommend starting with a basic understanding of astrophysics and then moving on to more specific topics such as cosmological models and the Big Bang theory. You can find a list of recommended materials from universities or online resources. As for enrolling in a graduate school, it is a personal decision and depends on your goals and resources. If you are dedicated and motivated, self-study may be enough. However, enrolling in a graduate program can provide a more structured and comprehensive learning experience.

4) It is possible to get accepted to a graduate school with just GRE subject tests, but it may be beneficial to also have a strong academic background and letters of recommendation from professors or employers. Each program may have different requirements, so it is important to research and reach out to the admissions department for specific information.

5) My suggestion would be to start by reviewing basic mathematics and then moving on to physics topics that interest you. It may also be helpful to reach out to a physics professor or join a study group to have support and guidance along the way. Good luck on your journey of studying physics!

1. How much math do I need to know before starting to study physics?

To fully understand and excel in physics, a strong foundation in math is necessary. This includes knowledge of algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. It is important to have a solid understanding of these concepts before diving into physics.

2. Can I start studying physics without any prior knowledge?

While it is possible to begin studying physics without any prior knowledge, it may be more challenging and may require more time and effort. It is helpful to have a basic understanding of scientific concepts and some mathematical skills before starting to study physics.

3. What resources should I use to study physics?

There are many resources available for studying physics, including textbooks, online courses, and videos. It is important to find resources that align with your learning style and level of understanding. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying physics?

Staying motivated while studying physics can be challenging, but setting goals and breaking down the material into smaller, more manageable chunks can help. It is also helpful to find a study group or partner to keep you accountable and motivated.

5. Is it necessary to have access to a laboratory to study physics?

While having access to a laboratory can enhance your understanding of physics, it is not always necessary. Many concepts and theories can be learned and understood through textbooks, videos, and simulations. However, if possible, it is beneficial to have hands-on experience in a laboratory setting.