Which Forum Is Best for Introductory Chemistry Questions?

• Thread starter Wanting to Learn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation discusses the helpfulness of the PF Intro Physics homework forum and the recommendation of the Biology, Chemistry and Earth Homework forum for questions and problems in those subjects. It also clarifies the rules for posting and the difference between asking about homework problems and understanding concepts.
Wanting to Learn
Hello,
PF in general and specifically the Intro Physics homework forum have been so helpful to me.
I have a friend who is taking (introductory?) chemistry in his first year of college, and I'm wanting to recommend one of the forums on here for him to ask questions/get help with the concepts and work, as I do for physics.
I was wondering whether I should direct him to the general Chemistry forum (where this post is) or to the forum for Biology, Chemistry and Earth Homework.
Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Homework for Biology, Chemistry forum is the choice for problems and questions about how to solve things.

BTW it is not up to some poll, it is just one the rules we have.

Okay. I was mostly just interested in how polls work, more than as an answer for this specific question.
What about questions about concepts-not specifically homework problems, just trying to understand the concepts that are being taught (or not really taught but we are supposed to know/learn) in class?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wanting to Learn said:
What about questions about concepts-not specifically homework problems, just trying to understand the concepts that are being taught (or not really taught but we are supposed to know/learn) in class?

These will be a perfect fit for the Chemistry forum.

The line between questions that should be asked here and there is sometimes thin. If your friend follows the general idea of explaining what s/he knows and where the problem lies (basically as if trying to fill the HW template) in the worst case we will just move the question. S/he can always state s/he was not sure where to post.

Borek said:
These will be a perfect fit for the Chemistry forum.
Okay, thank you!

1. How can I find a reliable source to ask chemistry questions?

There are a few options for finding a reliable source to ask chemistry questions. One option is to ask your teacher or professor for recommendations on reputable websites or forums. You can also do a quick online search for chemistry-specific forums or Q&A websites that have a good reputation. Additionally, many universities and scientific organizations have online resources for asking and answering chemistry questions.

2. Is it safe to ask chemistry questions on the internet?

As with any online interaction, it is important to be cautious and use your best judgement when asking chemistry questions on the internet. Make sure to only share personal information on secure and reputable websites, and do not give out any sensitive information. It is also a good idea to fact-check any answers you receive and confirm the credibility of the source before using the information for academic or scientific purposes.

3. Can I ask chemistry questions anonymously?

This depends on the platform or website you are using to ask the questions. Some forums or Q&A websites may allow you to post anonymously, while others may require you to create an account or use your real name. If anonymity is important to you, make sure to check the website's privacy policies before posting.

4. Are there any specific rules or guidelines for asking chemistry questions?

Again, this will depend on the website or platform you are using. Some forums or Q&A websites may have specific guidelines for posting questions, such as using proper formatting or providing enough background information. Make sure to read and follow any rules or guidelines to ensure that your question is well-received and answered accurately.

5. How long does it typically take to get an answer to a chemistry question?

The time it takes to get an answer to a chemistry question will vary depending on the complexity of the question, the availability of experts in that field, and the activity level of the platform or website. Some questions may receive answers within minutes, while others may take days or even weeks. If your question is time-sensitive, you may want to consider reaching out to multiple sources to increase your chances of getting a timely response.