Where to find interesting and challenging problems in Physics and Math?

In summary, one way to keep your mind fresh is by doing problems from different sources. Preferably not ordered by topic, university (bachelor) level and requiering some creative thinking/ no overly tedious calculations.
Tazerfish
Summary: I would like to know your favorite (freely accessible) resources and exercises.
Preferably not ordered by topic, university (bachelor) level and requiering some creative thinking/ no overly tedious calculations.

I was not sure where to put this, feel free to place this thread in another category if you are an admin.

Let me start by giving some background:
I am a fourth semester physics student and have previously participated in my country's (germany) selection process for the International Physics Olympiad (IPHO).

I really enjoyed the "puzzle" aspect of the exercises and I still "chase" problems like the one we were given in preperation for IPHO.

Recently I have come to regret that even now, after only four semesters, a lot of what I have learned is fading in my memory, and the best way to refresh this knowledge is doing problems IMO.
They provide a good indicator to what you have and have not understood /remembered.

They should
ideally cover a wide range of topics, be challenging and require some tricks or outside the box thinking. (and be solvable in more than one way)

Some examples of the sort of problems I am looking for:
-IPHO exercises
-Harvards Problems of the week
-publicly accessible exams from previous semesters

The web is full of classical mechanics problems and I like solving them, but exercises for more advanced topics are harder to come by, especially for more theoretical physics.

I am looking forward to your replies. :smile:
What do you do to keep your minds fresh and dust from collecting on knowledge of previous semesters ?

Physics news on Phys.org
One very recommended book in Maths is Problem Solving Strategies by Arthur Engel. I am not interested in mathematics unless it has a direct application in physics, so I never read or solved problems from this book. But this is a favourite among the ones competing for the olympiads at the national level. One person had said that the book even has some problems, to which no solutions have been found to date.

The book is highly priced, however (on Amazon, it is $81). But if you have access to a library, you can borrow it and click photos of the necessary pages and work them out.

Irodov's Problems in general physics contains good physics problems I guess.

1. Where can I find interesting and challenging problems in Physics and Math?

There are many places where you can find interesting and challenging problems in Physics and Math. Some suggestions include:

• Textbooks and workbooks specifically designed for problem-solving in these subjects
  • Online resources such as forums, blogs, and websites dedicated to Physics and Math problem-solving
  • Scientific journals and publications that feature cutting-edge research and problems in these fields
  • University or research institute websites, which often have sections dedicated to challenging problems for students and researchers
  • Attending conferences, seminars, and workshops related to Physics and Math, where you can network and exchange ideas with other scientists and mathematicians

2. How can I come up with my own interesting and challenging problems in Physics and Math?

One way to come up with your own interesting and challenging problems in Physics and Math is to stay updated on current research and developments in these fields. This can inspire new ideas and questions that you can explore further. Additionally, you can try to apply concepts and theories from different areas of Physics and Math to create unique and complex problems. Collaborating with other scientists and mathematicians can also help generate new and interesting problem ideas.

3. Are there any specific areas of Physics and Math that tend to have more interesting and challenging problems?

There are many areas of Physics and Math that offer interesting and challenging problems. Some popular and active areas include quantum mechanics, astrophysics, fluid dynamics, topology, number theory, and chaos theory. However, the level of difficulty and interest in a problem can vary greatly depending on the individual's personal interests and strengths.

4. How can I ensure that the problems I am working on are truly challenging and not too easy?

One way to ensure that the problems you are working on are challenging is to constantly push yourself out of your comfort zone and try to tackle problems that are slightly beyond your current skill level. Additionally, seeking feedback from peers and mentors can help gauge the difficulty level of a problem and offer suggestions for making it more challenging. It is also important to remember that what may seem easy to one person may be challenging for another, so it is important to challenge yourself based on your own abilities and goals.

5. Are there any benefits to solving challenging problems in Physics and Math?

Yes, there are many benefits to solving challenging problems in Physics and Math. Some of these include:

• Improving problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities
  • Enhancing understanding and application of fundamental concepts and theories
  • Developing creativity and innovation in approaching problems
  • Preparing for higher education or careers in scientific and mathematical fields
  • Contributing to the advancement of knowledge and discovery in these fields