Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Where to find phosphorescent screens?

1. Jun 6, 2016 #1
    Hello everyone,

I have been playing around with Americium-241 from a smoke detector, and I was wondering where I could find a phosphorescent screen that would scintillate when hit with an alpha particle. Also, I was wondering what the different types of phosphor screens commonly used are and how their characteristics differ. I read that the amount of Americium in a smoke detector emits ~37,000 alpha particles per second, but I don't know how bright of an image this would form on a phosphorescent screen.

Also, I have a Geiger counter with a metal shielded tube that can detect the Am-241 emissions. Since alpha particles can't penetrate this metal shield, am I correct in assuming that it is also emitting Gamma radiation?

Thanks,
    -Hunter

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Please do not work with radioactive or otherwise dangerous materials if you don't understand exactly what you are doing.
    We also won't provide help for those kind of activities here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook