Where to find phosphorescent screens?

• I
  • Thread starter Hunter235711
  • Start date
  • Tags
    scintillator
In summary, the speaker is experimenting with Americium-241 from a smoke detector and is looking for a phosphorescent screen that will scintillate when hit with an alpha particle. They are also curious about the different types of phosphor screens and their characteristics. The speaker also mentions the emission rate of the Americium and questions if their Geiger counter is emitting Gamma radiation. A warning is given to not work with dangerous materials without proper understanding.
Hunter235711
Hello everyone,

I have been playing around with Americium-241 from a smoke detector, and I was wondering where I could find a phosphorescent screen that would scintillate when hit with an alpha particle. Also, I was wondering what the different types of phosphor screens commonly used are and how their characteristics differ. I read that the amount of Americium in a smoke detector emits ~37,000 alpha particles per second, but I don't know how bright of an image this would form on a phosphorescent screen.

Also, I have a Geiger counter with a metal shielded tube that can detect the Am-241 emissions. Since alpha particles can't penetrate this metal shield, am I correct in assuming that it is also emitting Gamma radiation?

Thanks,
-Hunter

Physics news on Phys.org
Hunter235711 said:
Also, I have a Geiger counter with a metal shielded tube that can detect the Am-241 emissions. Since alpha particles can't penetrate this metal shield, am I correct in assuming that it is also emitting Gamma radiation?
Please do not work with radioactive or otherwise dangerous materials if you don't understand exactly what you are doing.
We also won't provide help for those kind of activities here.

1. Where can I purchase phosphorescent screens?

Phosphorescent screens can be purchased at many scientific supply stores, online retailers, and specialty stores that sell equipment for scientific experiments.

2. What types of phosphorescent screens are available?

There are several different types of phosphorescent screens available, including zinc sulfide, strontium aluminate, and europium-doped strontium aluminate screens. Each type has different properties and may be better suited for different experiments.

3. How do I choose the right phosphorescent screen for my experiment?

When choosing a phosphorescent screen, consider factors such as the wavelength of light emitted, sensitivity, and durability. It is also important to consider the specific requirements of your experiment and consult with other scientists or experts if needed.

4. Can I make my own phosphorescent screen?

Yes, it is possible to make your own phosphorescent screen using materials such as zinc sulfide powder and a binding agent. However, the process can be complex and may require specialized equipment and knowledge. It is recommended to purchase a pre-made screen for accurate and consistent results.

5. What safety precautions should I take when using phosphorescent screens?

Phosphorescent screens should be handled with care as they may contain toxic materials. It is important to wear gloves and a mask when handling them, and to dispose of them properly according to safety guidelines. It is also important to avoid exposing the screens to excessive heat or moisture, as this can degrade their performance.