Where to go with Aerospace Engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses a person's plans to obtain a PhD in Aerospace Engineering and their desire to work in the space exploration/colonization field. They are seeking information on companies that conduct research in this area and mention that California has the highest concentration of aerospace companies. The person also mentions their plans to attend the University of Illinois and pursue a career in developing more efficient and effective ways to explore space. They note that the “Big 3” aerospace companies – Lockheed-Martin, United Technologies, and Northrop-Grumman – are major players in this field, with Boeing shifting its focus to Defense/Military systems. They also mention the presence of smaller companies that contract with NASA or the “Big 3”, and suggest that
Dauden
I'm planning on getting a PhD in Aerospace Engineering and was wondering what kind of companies do research for space exploration/colonization. I need to know this so I know which university to go to so my career will be literally outside waiting for me.

I heard the location with the most aerospace companies is in California. I was planning on going to University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne. I want to make a career out of researching new ways to go into space more efficiently and effectively.

Physics news on Phys.org
The big 3 are Lockheed-Martin, United Technologies, and Northrop-Grumman. Boeing has stepped away from the large launch vehicles and commercial space to focus on Defense/Military systems.

There are numerous smaller companies, many of whom contract with NASA or subcontract to the Big 3 aerospace companies. Many aerospace companies have satellite offices located near several of the NASA centers.

If that career plan doesn't work out, you would be very valuable in any wind energy company.

1. What career options are available with an Aerospace Engineering degree?

With an Aerospace Engineering degree, you can pursue careers in fields such as aircraft and spacecraft design, aerodynamics, propulsion systems, avionics, and materials science. You can also work in research and development, project management, and quality control.

2. Is a Master's degree necessary for a successful career in Aerospace Engineering?

While a Master's degree can provide advanced knowledge and skills, it is not necessary for a successful career in Aerospace Engineering. Many entry-level positions only require a Bachelor's degree, and experience and on-the-job training can also lead to career advancement.

3. What industries can Aerospace Engineers work in?

Aerospace Engineers can work in various industries, including aviation, defense, space exploration, and even the automotive and renewable energy sectors. They can also work for government agencies, research institutions, and private companies.

4. What skills are important for a career in Aerospace Engineering?

In addition to technical knowledge and problem-solving abilities, strong analytical and critical thinking skills are essential for Aerospace Engineers. Excellent communication and teamwork skills are also important, as projects often involve collaboration with other engineers and professionals.

5. What opportunities are available for career growth in Aerospace Engineering?

Aerospace Engineering is a rapidly evolving field, and there are many opportunities for career growth. Engineers can pursue advanced degrees, such as a Ph.D., to become experts in a specific area of Aerospace Engineering. They can also obtain professional certifications and participate in continuing education to stay updated on the latest technologies and advancements in the industry.