1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Where to go with Aerospace Engineering?

1. Jul 25, 2009 #1
    I'm planning on getting a PhD in Aerospace Engineering and was wondering what kind of companies do research for space exploration/colonization. I need to know this so I know which university to go to so my career will be literally outside waiting for me.

I heard the location with the most aerospace companies is in California. I was planning on going to University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne. I want to make a career out of researching new ways to go into space more efficiently and effectively.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The big 3 are Lockheed-Martin, United Technologies, and Northrop-Grumman. Boeing has stepped away from the large launch vehicles and commercial space to focus on Defense/Military systems.

There are numerous smaller companies, many of whom contract with NASA or subcontract to the Big 3 aerospace companies. Many aerospace companies have satellite offices located near several of the NASA centers.

4. Jul 29, 2009 #3
    If that career plan doesnt work out, you would be very valuable in any wind energy company.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook