Where to put the dot on radicals (notation)

In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of dots in radicals in a report and whether it matters. The advice given is that both ⋅H and H⋅ are acceptable, but OH⋅ should be avoided as it may imply the radical is on the hydrogen instead of the oxygen. The use of ⋅OH* is suggested for more precision in discussing spectral emission from a radical.
rwooduk
This may seem a bit pedantic but I'm writing a report and have radicals in it and notice that some papers put the dot in different places, so my question is does it matter where you put the dot?

fvScEdm.jpg

thanks for any advice

Chemistry news on Phys.org
First choice (mixed) --- bad juju.
Second, or third (consistent), depending on Journal editor.

Likes rwooduk
In my opinion, ⋅H or H⋅ are both fine. I would avoid OH⋅ because it makes it seem like the radical is on the hydrogen, where the radical should instead be on the oxygen (as indicated by ⋅OH).

Likes rwooduk
Ok, many thanks!

hmm so if you were talking about the spectral emission from a radical would you write ⋅OH* to be more precise, and not...

4wpgmXu.jpg

1. What is the purpose of a dot in radical notation?

The dot in radical notation serves as a visual indicator of where the radical ends and the radicand (the number or expression under the radical) begins. This helps to avoid confusion and errors when working with radicals.

2. Where should the dot be placed in radical notation?

The dot should always be placed directly above the radicand, with no space in between. This indicates that the entire radicand is within the radical, and all operations should be performed on the entire expression.

3. Can the dot be placed anywhere else in radical notation?

No, the dot must always be placed directly above the radicand. Placing it in any other location would not accurately represent the expression and could lead to errors in calculations.

4. What happens if I forget to include the dot in radical notation?

If the dot is not included, the radical will not be properly represented and the expression may be misinterpreted. It is important to always include the dot in order to maintain the correct meaning of the radical.

5. Can the dot be omitted in certain cases?

In most cases, the dot must be included in radical notation. However, some mathematicians and textbooks may omit the dot when the radicand is a single term with no operations or variables. It is important to follow the notation guidelines given by your teacher or textbook in these cases.