1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where to sell scientific books?

1. Mar 4, 2014 #1

DrDu

Science Advisor

I have quite a lot of classic science books, e.g. on solid state physics, chemistry which I would like to sell. I am not in a hurry. Any ideas? ( I know of some services where you enter the ISBN of a book and they offer you some money for it, but the prices are ridiculously low when you compare it e.g. to the prices at abebooks).
    It is not that I am mainly interested in making money out of them, but simply that the possibilities to find someone interested in non-fiction books are much more restricted.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why not just Amazon or eBay? They have HUGE followings and you get to set the price you want (understanding that if you overprice it, it likely won't sell).

4. Mar 4, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are several sites on the web which handle scientific books, as well as general interest tomes.

www.zubalbooks.com

www.abebooks.com

www.alibris.com

www.powells.com

You can contact these sellers and see what their policies are about selling books from third parties.

5. Mar 6, 2014 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

Thank you for your proposals!
    Comparing the options, I think ebay is one of the cheapest possibilities. Amazon is quite expensive, as they take fees for listing, finishing and 15% of the money earned.
    Alibris is similar (19 $ per year +15% of the money earned).
    Most other sellers only offer to buy your books, but at ridiculous prices.

6. Mar 17, 2014 #5
    What kind of books do you have avail. ? Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted