Is Euler's Formula Valid When Using a Non-Power Series Method?

• Thread starter daster
  • Start date
But, still, I guess it has been enough to get you started. In summary, the conversation involved proving Euler's formula using a method that does not involve power series. The method involved using the derivative of z and setting it equal to -z. By integrating both sides and solving for z, the final result was z = e^(-theta/i). However, this method may have omitted certain steps and considerations, such as the complex nature of the logarithm function.
daster
I was messing around and decided to prove Euler's 'formula' using a method that doesn't involve power series. Here's how I did it:

[tex]z=\cos\theta + i \sin\theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dz}{d\theta} = -\sin\theta + i\cos\theta[/tex]

[tex]i\frac{dz}{d\theta} = -i\sin\theta + i^{2}\cos\theta = -i\sin\theta - \cos\theta = -(\cos\theta+i\sin\theta) = -z[/tex]

[tex]-i\int \frac{1}{z} \; dz = \int \; d\theta[/tex]

[tex]-i \log|z| = \theta + C[/tex]

When [itex]\theta=0[/tex], [itex]z=1[/itex], so [itex]C=0[/itex]. Now:

[tex]\log|z| = \frac{-\theta}{i}[/tex]

[tex]z=e^{\frac{-\theta}{i}}[/tex]

:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
daster said:
I was messing around and decided to prove Euler's 'formula' using a method that doesn't involve power series. Here's how I did it:

[tex]z=\cos\theta + i \sin\theta[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dz}{d\theta} = -\sin\theta + i\cos\theta[/tex]

[tex]i\frac{dz}{d\theta} = -i\sin\theta + i^{2}\cos\theta = -i\sin\theta - \cos\theta = -(\cos\theta+i\sin\theta) = -z[/tex]

[tex]-i\int \frac{1}{z} \; dz = \int \; d\theta[/tex]

[tex]-i \log|z| = \theta + C[/tex]

When [itex]\theta=0[/tex], [itex]z=1[/itex], so [itex]C=0[/itex]. Now:

[tex]\log|z| = \frac{-\theta}{i}[/tex]

[tex]z=e^{\frac{-\theta}{i}}[/tex]

:confused:
Nice work. Calculate 1/i in terms of a+ib, where a and b are real. :smile:

Nothing as far as I can tell; you just didn't finish.

[tex] \frac{-\theta}i = \frac{-\theta i}{i^2} = \frac{-i\theta}{-1} = i\theta [/tex]

ETA: Oops, too slow on the draw.

Nice! I was too busy checking my first steps to notice that I had to simplify my answer!

Thanks.

There are, though, several things you have sidestepped when doing that integral of 1/z, such as the fact that log is an many valued function, and why when you exp log of |z| you don't get |z|, for instance. I mean, in

log|z| = \theta/i

the lhs is strictly real and the rhs is strictly imaginary.

What are the possible reasons for my experiment to have failed?

There could be multiple reasons for your experiment to have failed. Some common reasons include incorrect experimental design, faulty equipment or materials, human error, or external factors such as contamination or unexpected environmental conditions.

How can I prevent future errors in my experiments?

To prevent errors in your experiments, it is important to carefully plan and design your experiments, use reliable and calibrated equipment, follow procedures accurately, and take precautions to minimize external factors. It is also helpful to have a peer review your experimental design and procedures to catch any potential errors.

What can I do if I encounter unexpected results in my experiment?

If you encounter unexpected results in your experiment, it is important to carefully analyze and document the results. You can also repeat the experiment to verify the results and troubleshoot any potential errors. If the unexpected results persist, it may be necessary to modify the experimental design or seek advice from a colleague or mentor.

How do I troubleshoot errors in my experiment?

To troubleshoot errors in your experiment, start by reviewing your procedures and materials to identify any potential errors. You can also consult with colleagues or mentors to get their input and suggestions. If the error persists, consider repeating the experiment with slight modifications to isolate the source of the error.

What should I do if my experiment yields no results?

If your experiment yields no results, it is important to carefully review your procedures and materials to ensure everything was done correctly. It is also helpful to consult with others and consider repeating the experiment with slight modifications. If the experiment still yields no results, it may be necessary to modify the experimental design or seek advice from a more experienced scientist.