Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which browser do you use?

1. Internet Explorer

8 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. Google chrome

20 vote(s)
    29.9%
  3. Mozilla Firefox

38 vote(s)
    56.7%
  4. Opera

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Netscape Navigator

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Safari

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  7. Mozilla SeaMonkey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Camino

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. OmniWeb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. iCab

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Konqueror

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Epiphany

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jul 23, 2011 #1
    Just for the sake of fun!! Lets see which browser wins.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2011 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have neglected an option for "more than one" so I have no answer for you.

Looked at from various points of view, each of the browsers can be either (1) really useful or (2) total crap, so I use more than one.

4. Jul 23, 2011 #3
    How can i edit the poll?

5. Jul 23, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

So post your answer as a post! :wink:

6. Jul 23, 2011 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is Netscape still around? I thought Netscape morphed into Firefox.

7. Jul 23, 2011 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

For some reason the option to allow mutiple choice is lost once the poll has posted.

8. Jul 23, 2011 #7
    I use firefox, but I have noticed that it crashes ALOT after it's most recent update. It used to be light and fast, now it's a huge memory eating program, I simply don't know what to switch to, so this thread is very relevant to my interests.

9. Jul 23, 2011 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I had a Mother Goose relationship with Internet Exploder (you stick with the one you grew up with) but I have finally gotten sick of it.

I'm switching to Firefox (or maybe Chrome, we'll see).

10. Jul 23, 2011 #9

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I still used Netscape 7.0 (from about 2003) occasionally, till my PC hard disk died a few weeks ago and it went to the great recycling bin in the sky.

Microsoft have managed to put most of the same functionality in IE 8, except N7 ran quicker and looked pretter.

11. Jul 23, 2011 #10
    Wow!! Mozilla is winning :surprised
    I thought Chrome would win.

Chrome is much better, Firefox crashes a lot of time and its really annoying.
    Firefox is my past and Chrome is my present. :biggrin:

12. Jul 23, 2011 #11

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Here's my 2 cents:

Firefox has the most functionality and is the most user friendly.
    Chrome is the smallest and fastest.
    Safari is for Mac users.
    Internet Explorer is the standard set by Microsoft and there are still web sites that only work (properly) on IE. It's also the slowest.

13. Jul 23, 2011 #12
    I prefer chrome because of its simplicity, yet it too chrases but not as much as firefox. :smile:
    The great advantage of Firefox that it has a lot of add-ons compatible with it to play around.:wink:
    And IE.........hmm :yuck:

Safari is available for Windows too.

14. Jul 23, 2011 #13

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And a lot of Mac users use Firefox (yo!).

Safari is "OOH la LAH!" pretty, but Firefox has been the most consistently working and workable software I have encountered. Nothing against Chrome, haven' tried it yet.

By the way, Firefox doesn't crash on me. Sometimes it hiccups, and puts up a window that says "Well, this is embarrassing..." and then apologizes for something that went wrong. Very endearing.

15. Jul 23, 2011 #14

I like Serena

Homework Helper

I guess I should have said: Safari is the prettiest. :smile:

16. Jul 24, 2011 #15

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's hard to believe. What is your most recent update. It should be Firefox 5.0. It's a screamer compared to Firefox 3. And I have yet to have any crashes. What trouble are you having? My operating system is Windows 7 but I don't see that as an advantage as Firefox programmers are very diligent with making it compatible with most OSs IMO.

I did have a situation where the right scroll bar would sometimes refresh and leave stuff between the slider and the right edge of the window, but I asked the question on their forum and receive a solution the next day, which was to turn off/ un-check the "use hardware acceleration when available" in the tools advanced options. Personally I think this version is the best yet.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  17. Jul 24, 2011 #16
    WTH!! No one uses Opera!! :eek:

18. Jul 24, 2011 #17
    Well, there are definitely advantages of open source - you can get many, many improvements as is the case in Firefox. It's probably one of the best known open source programs around there. Sadly, other good stuff which is open source, eg, Ubuntu (Linux), isn't bought up as much.

19. Jul 24, 2011 #18

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe Borek uses it among others. IIRC

20. Jul 24, 2011 #19

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Chrome, rarely firefox, safari on Mac/iPhone

21. Jul 24, 2011 #20
    Looking at the poll result,I think I might have to try mozilla now :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook