Which student is correct when bulb C is removed?

• Thread starter EV33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bulb
In summary, when bulb C is removed from the circuit with a voltage V and 3 identical bulbs of resistance R, student one is correct in saying that bulb B will get brighter because it no longer has to share the current with bulb C. However, student two also makes a valid point that the resistance in the circuit has increased, causing the current to decrease and potentially making bulb B dimmer. After analyzing the circuit using equivalent resistors, it is determined that bulb B will be 1.5 times brighter when bulb C is removed and its brightness will be reduced to 75% of its previous value.
EV33
Which bulb is brighter :)

b]1. Homework Statement [/b]
There is a circuit with a voltage V, and 3 identical bulbs of resistance R. B and C are parallel to each other, and A is in series to them.
what happens when bulb c is removed?
student one: I think that bulb B will get brighter. Bulb B used to share the current with bulb C, but now it gets all the current. So bulb B will get brighter.
student 2: I don't think so. Now there aren't as many paths for the current, so the resistance in the circuit has increased. Since the resistance in the circuit has gone up, the current in the circuit decreases. Bulb B will get dimmer.
Which student is correct?

Homework Equations

1. Sum of all current into a node is the sum of the current out of the node.
2. The sum of voltage on a closed loop is equal to zero.
3. V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I agree with student one in the part where bulb B doesn't have to share the current with bulb C anymore so the amount of current going to B is increased, but student 2 makes a great point too. He says that because bulb C is gone that the amount of resistance in the circuit is increased.

So from here I made the resistors into equivalent resistors in order to find the current that would be going through B in both cases.

The first case I get the equivalent resistor to have an Resistance=(2/R)^(-1)+R=3/R

So using V=IR, I get the equivalent I to be equal to 2V/(3R).

so that would mean that to current going to B individually would be half... V/(3R).

The second case without C I Get an equivalent resistance to be R+R=2R, and so the I=V/(2R).

Therefore when C is removed, the current also goes up for B making B brighter, and makeing student 2 wrong.

Is this correct reasoning? I am a still a little uncomfortable with circuits.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your analysis is OK.

Bulb B should be 1.5 times brighter and bulb B's brightness will be reduced to 75% of previous value.

Thank you very much

FAQ: Which student is correct when bulb C is removed?

1. Which bulb has a higher wattage?

The wattage of a bulb determines its power and brightness. A bulb with a higher wattage will typically be brighter than one with a lower wattage.

2. What is the difference between lumens and watts?

Lumens measure the amount of light output, while watts measure the amount of energy a bulb uses. A bulb with a higher lumen count will be brighter, regardless of its wattage.

3. Does the type of bulb affect its brightness?

Yes, the type of bulb can greatly affect its brightness. For example, LED bulbs tend to be brighter and more energy-efficient than incandescent bulbs.

4. Can the color of the bulb affect its brightness?

Yes, the color of the bulb can affect its perceived brightness. A warmer colored bulb (e.g. yellow or orange) can appear dimmer than a cooler colored bulb (e.g. white or blue).

5. Is it better to have a higher or lower Kelvin temperature for a brighter bulb?

A higher Kelvin temperature (e.g. 5000K) typically produces a brighter, whiter light than a lower Kelvin temperature (e.g. 2700K). However, this can vary depending on the type of bulb and personal preference.

Back