Which courses before GR and QFT?

In summary: It sounds like you should have the prerequisites for introductory GR and QFT courses. Of course, it is always difficult to compare curricula from different universities.If you want a better assessment, I would try to get hold of the course descriptions and ask a professor at your current university, who should be familiar with your current level of knowledge, if what you have studied is sufficient.
FilipLand
Hi!

I will soon begin my third year at the theoretical physics program. I have done a bunch of classical & Lagrangian mechanics, SP, atomic physics, electromagnetism, and basic particle physics.

Is it a good idea to study general relativity and quantum field theory with this knowledge, what is your experience?

I will study abroad next study-year and am very tempted of attending these courses.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your experience with quantum mechanics and special relativity?

Orodruin said:
What is your experience with quantum mechanics and special relativity?

I have done one basic and two continuation (semi-advanced) courses in quantum mechanics.
For SR I have done one very basic and one semi-advanced course which was imbedded in lagrangian dynamics.

Hard to bullet point all moments, but everything is on bachelor level, maybe some very small overlap on master level.

It sounds as if you should have the prerequisites for introductory GR and QFT courses. Of course, it is always difficult to compare curricula from different universities.

If you want a better assessment, I would try to get hold of the course descriptions and ask a professor at your current university, who should be familiar with your current level of knowledge, if what you have studied is sufficient.

Orodruin said:
It sounds as if you should have the prerequisites for introductory GR and QFT courses. Of course, it is always difficult to compare curricula from different universities.

If you want a better assessment, I would try to get hold of the course descriptions and ask a professor at your current university, who should be familiar with your current level of knowledge, if what you have studied is sufficient.

maybe I should ask instead, what courses do you recommend taking before GR and QFT? Is differential geometry a must for example?

FilipLand said:
Is differential geometry a must for example?
This depends completely on the setup of the course. Most GR courses will give a short crash course on differential geometry. Of course it helps to already know it.

Have you taken linear algebra?

At the undergrad level, differential geometry refers to the differential geometry of curves and surfaces and not the more general Riemannian (technically semi-Riemannian) geometry used in GR. The former type of course would help help with mathematical intuition, but is not necessary if you can't fit it in.

Mister T said:
Have you taken linear algebra?
Yes, two courses on that, I think I can get through GR and QFT with my current knowledge.

Daverz said:
At the undergrad level, differential geometry refers to the differential geometry of curves and surfaces and not the more general Riemannian (technically semi-Riemannian) geometry used in GR. The former type of course would help help with mathematical intuition, but is not necessary if you can't fit it in.
Great to hear :)

FilipLand said:
Great to hear :)

That said, it's a beautiful subject, one of the great triumphs of 19th Century mathematics.

I think for QFT, the minimum prerequisite would be this:

upload_2018-2-8_2-31-4.png
A common mistake people make is to take QFT too early. Beyond this minimum see above, I'd say spending a few days learning 0 dimensional QFT with the path integral helps, and memorizing all forms of gaussian integrals/complex integration. Things get very messy once you start having more than 1 point particle, so it helps to understand the intuition before all the technical nightmare comes.

I personally like QFT to be understood from a statistical physics standpoint (likely because I still don't understand it very well), so I also think knowing stat mech will help once renormalization hits, but that often is a 2nd course in a QFT sequence.GR on the other hand I think has much fewer pre-requisites because most physics GR classes teaches the requisite differential geometry as you go. For GR, you need to basic classical field theory (Lagrangians, Hamiltonians), and special relativity/E&M at a level where you can push indices around comfortably.

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-8_2-31-4.png
    upload_2018-2-8_2-31-4.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 682

1. What is GR and QFT?

GR stands for General Relativity, which is a theory that describes the force of gravity and how it affects the structure of space and time. QFT stands for Quantum Field Theory, which is a framework for understanding the behavior of particles at the smallest scales.

2. What are the prerequisites for studying GR and QFT?

The most important prerequisite for studying GR and QFT is a strong background in mathematics, particularly in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and special relativity.

3. Which courses should I take before studying GR and QFT?

Before studying GR and QFT, it is recommended to take courses in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and special relativity, as these topics are foundational for understanding GR and QFT. It is also helpful to take courses in linear algebra, differential equations, and advanced calculus.

4. How long does it take to study GR and QFT?

The amount of time it takes to study GR and QFT varies depending on the individual's background and level of dedication. Generally, it takes several years of undergraduate and graduate coursework and research to gain a strong understanding of these topics.

5. What career opportunities are available for those who study GR and QFT?

Studying GR and QFT can lead to a variety of career opportunities, particularly in the fields of theoretical physics and cosmology. Some common career paths include academic research, working in government or private research labs, and teaching at universities.