What is the threshold velocity for using the relativistic energy equation?

• Thread starter Drizzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different equations to calculate kinetic energy, including the relativistic expression for higher velocities. The question is posed at what velocity the relativistic expression should be used and whether a velocity of 1000000m/s is high enough. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to manually calculate the gamma factor for greater accuracy.
Drizzy

Homework Statement

To calculate kinetic energy I can either use E=mv^2/2 or for higher velocities I can use E=gamma factormc^2 - mc^2.

So my question is at which velocity can I use E=gamma factormc^2 - mc^2? Is 1000000m/s a high enough velocity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Once ##\gamma## starts to deviate from 1 you will need the relativistic expression. Simple, isn't it ?

yes thanks alot!

Just to get an idea: how much does ##\gamma## differ from 1 at the speed you mentioned ?

I checked it and it doesn't differ :P

But it does differ! perhaps not on a cheap calculator, but ##\gamma = 1.0000055556... \ne 1 ## :smile:
What you mean is that it doesn't differ significantly...

yes well my graph calculator show that the gamma factor is equal to one :) But I get the idea

Sometimes helping the calculator a little by hand is more accurate: $$
\gamma = {1\over \sqrt {1-\beta^2}} \approx 1+{1\over 2} \beta^2 \, , $$ in your case ##1+ {1\over 2}{1\over 300^2} = 1+ 1/180000 \ne 1 ##

Last edited:
BvU said:
Once ##\gamma## starts to deviate from 1 you will need the relativistic expression. Simple, isn't it ?

Actually, the issue is whether ##\gamma## differs significantly from ##1 + \frac{1}{c^2} \frac{1}{2} v^2##, or whether ##c^2 (\gamma - 1)## differs significantly from ##v^2/2##. For lab-scale speeds, ##\gamma## will hardly ever differ "significantly" from 1.

1. What is the general equation for calculating energy?

The general equation for calculating energy is E = m * c^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is stored energy that an object has due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy, and vice versa.

4. How is the conservation of energy principle applied in energy equations?

The conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This principle is applied in energy equations by ensuring that the total energy before and after a transformation remains constant.

5. What are some commonly used energy equations in physics?

Some commonly used energy equations in physics include the equations for kinetic energy, potential energy, work, and power. Other important equations include the laws of thermodynamics, such as the first law which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, and the second law which states that energy tends to dissipate and become less useful over time.