1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Which engineering disciplines is paid the most

1. Oct 18, 2008 #1
    hello
    i just have a question:

which engineering disciplines is paid the most:

merchanical,civil,computer and communications engineering?
    10x!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2008 #2
  4. Oct 20, 2008 #3
    Re: salary

I have nothing to add beyond Freyster's links but a bit of advice:

If you're trying to decide a major based solely on salary, you might not like the results. Also note that most salary reports don't include potential perks/bonus structures. This varies a lot more by company than by discipline. Yes, you can probably command a salary that's a bit higher, but if you do not enjoy what you are doing it very well might not be worth it in the long run.

Another bit - it is very common for someone with a degree in one engineering field to work in another. I hold undergraduate degrees in Mechanical and Materials Engineering, but my job title is "Consultant Engineer". A number of my colleagues hold degrees in Chemical, Civil, Industrial, Electrical, etc. - and we all started at more or less the same pay (adjusted for hiring date/inflation, of course).

5. Oct 20, 2008 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Answer:
    The ones who are best at negotiating contracts.

6. Oct 20, 2008 #5

Engineering Management (Your Boss).

Because they control the money, your salary, whom to keep around and to fire.

7. Oct 25, 2008 #6

So true.

8. Oct 26, 2008 #7

in the second link, if you scroll down to table 3, there is teh average starting salary based on your education level. Im curious as to why Civil and Petroleum engineers' average starting salary is less with a masters degree than an undergraduate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?