Which engineering disciplines is paid the most

• Engineering
  • Thread starter qwerty321
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the conversation revolved around the question of which engineering disciplines are paid the most and the potential factors that may affect salary in the field. The conversation also touched upon the importance of enjoying the work rather than solely considering salary when choosing a major. Some resources were provided for further information on engineering salaries.
qwerty321
hello
i just have a question:

which engineering disciplines is paid the most:

merchanical,civil,computer and communications engineering?
10x!

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

qwerty321 said:
hello
i just have a question:

merchanical,civil,computer and communications engineering?
10x!

I have nothing to add beyond Freyster's links but a bit of advice:

If you're trying to decide a major based solely on salary, you might not like the results. Also note that most salary reports don't include potential perks/bonus structures. This varies a lot more by company than by discipline. Yes, you can probably command a salary that's a bit higher, but if you do not enjoy what you are doing it very well might not be worth it in the long run.

Another bit - it is very common for someone with a degree in one engineering field to work in another. I hold undergraduate degrees in Mechanical and Materials Engineering, but my job title is "Consultant Engineer". A number of my colleagues hold degrees in Chemical, Civil, Industrial, Electrical, etc. - and we all started at more or less the same pay (adjusted for hiring date/inflation, of course).

qwerty321 said:

Answer:
The ones who are best at negotiating contracts.

Engineering Management (Your Boss).

Because they control the money, your salary, whom to keep around and to fire.

Stovebolt said:
If you're trying to decide a major based solely on salary, you might not like the results.

So true.

Freyster98 said:
For what it's worth, here's some links...

http://www.engineersalary.com/

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm#earnings

in the second link, if you scroll down to table 3, there is teh average starting salary based on your education level. I am curious as to why Civil and Petroleum engineers' average starting salary is less with a masters degree than an undergraduate.

1. What engineering discipline is typically paid the most?

The discipline that is typically paid the most in engineering is petroleum engineering. This is due to the high demand for skilled professionals in the oil and gas industry.

2. How does the salary of petroleum engineering compare to other engineering disciplines?

The salary of petroleum engineering is significantly higher than most other engineering disciplines. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary for petroleum engineers in 2020 was $137,720, while the average for all other engineering occupations was $86,410.

3. Are there other engineering disciplines that also have high salaries?

Yes, there are other engineering disciplines that also have high salaries. These include computer engineering, aerospace engineering, and chemical engineering. These disciplines are in high demand and require specialized skills, which contributes to their higher salaries.

4. Does location affect the salary of engineering disciplines?

Yes, location can greatly affect the salary of engineering disciplines. In areas with a high demand for certain types of engineers, salaries may be higher. For example, in states like Texas, where there is a large oil and gas industry, petroleum engineers may earn higher salaries compared to other states.

5. Are there any factors other than discipline and location that can impact engineering salaries?

Yes, there are other factors that can impact engineering salaries, such as level of education, years of experience, and specific skills or certifications. Engineers with advanced degrees or many years of experience may earn higher salaries. Specialized skills or certifications in a particular field can also lead to higher pay.