Which engineering is right for me

• Thread starter hparker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary: There will be times when you have to specialize in one area or the other.In summary, for me the "right" engineering degree is CEE.
hparker
Which engineering is right for me!

Hi I have recently been researching engineering degrees and cannot make a decision as there seem to be so many options.
My top priorities for an engineering job are:
1. Not to be stuck behind a desk all day analysing numbers but to be able to be hands on with testing and going to different sites
2. I want to be a major contributer to the design of the product including the aesthetics
Just wondered which would be the correct path for me to go down?

Engineering news on Phys.org

Engineering is a discipline that requires such a wide range of skill that it doesn't really matter what you do. There are endless opportunities for someone who is willing to put in some effort.

I'm a mechanical engineer, so I'm rather obviously going to say mechanical engineering. Regarding module choices, do whatever seems good at the time.

Good question. I'm in the same position, I wanted to trend towards the mechanical side of things but I'm not 100% yet. Ideally a future job working with Solidworks and Catia are my ideal ambitions so anything that deals with these.
I'm a Carpenter at the moment and looking for a serious career change for sure!.

I have been reading, as of late, a lot about Physics. This interests me a great deal, my Grandfather is a Nuclear Physicists and so this has been my inspiration. unfortunately I don't think I quite got the head for the Nuclear aspect despite my enjoyment in reading about it.

Last edited:

hparker said:
Hi I have recently been researching engineering degrees and cannot make a decision as there seem to be so many options.
1. Not to be stuck behind a desk all day analysing numbers but to be able to be hands on with testing and going to different sites
2. I want to be a major contributer to the design of the product including the aesthetics

For your option 1) the "right" one is Civil and Environenmental engineering (CEE)

For option two, it sounds like industrial design or, as they call it at my school, Human Centered Design and Engineering (which is not really engineering).

as we know engineering is a vast field consisting of so many branches..in engineering you have to study maths,phy,chem and branch subject..in my opinion go for mechanical..you will find it interesting and it is bit different from other branches

hparker said:

You may want to consider a test engineer or a design for manufacturing engineer. As been said before, ME seems to be a logical choice. However, once you're an engineer you'll have to spend countless hours behind the desk at some (many) point(s) in your career. But the reality of life is, #1 and #2 don't mix 50/50. Mostly, the the first part of #1 and #2 go together, and the second part of #1 stands alone. However this is NOT all the time.

1. What is the difference between mechanical and electrical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is concerned with the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems and devices, such as engines, machines, and tools. Electrical engineering, on the other hand, deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism in various systems and devices, including power generation and communication systems.

2. How do I know which engineering field is the best fit for me?

To determine which engineering field is right for you, it's important to consider your interests, strengths, and goals. Research different engineering fields, talk to professionals in the industry, and consider taking courses or participating in internships to get a better understanding of the different specialties within engineering.

3. Can I switch to a different engineering field after starting my studies?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a different engineering field after starting your studies. However, it may require additional coursework or time to catch up on any missed material. It's important to consult with your academic advisor and carefully consider your options before making a switch.

4. Do I need to have strong math and science skills to be an engineer?

Strong math and science skills are essential for success in engineering, as many concepts and principles in these fields are used in engineering practices. However, this does not mean that you need to be a genius in these subjects. With hard work and dedication, you can improve your skills and succeed in engineering.

5. What industries can I work in as an engineer?

Engineers are needed in a variety of industries, including aerospace, automotive, construction, energy, healthcare, and technology. The field of engineering is constantly evolving, and new industries and opportunities may arise in the future.