Which engineering major is right for me?

In summary, there is a lot of confusion surrounding the fields of computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and civil engineering. While computer programming may seem like an easy entry point with lower job security and salary, software engineering and computer science are in high demand and offer more challenging and rewarding careers. It is important to choose a field that you are truly passionate about, rather than just focusing on job security and money. Resources are available to help guide you in choosing the right major for you.
Ryuk1990
I'm interested in computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and civil engineering. My dad's an electrical engineer(Ph.D) and he says it's so hard that I should stay away from it.

I've heard good things about job opportunities as America is in demand for more engineers. I'm confused about the computer science field though. The Bureau of Labor Statistics states that computer programmers will not be as much needed in the future and that the salary is low. However, they state that software engineers make a lot of money and the nation will also be needing more and more software engineers. My question is, what exactly is the difference between a computer programmer and a software engineer?

I just want to get into a career that is secure and gets me a good amount of money.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can be a computer programmer with a high school degree. This generally involves making bad money and having bad job security. Kids in high school will generally be computer programmers for friends' parents' small businesses and what not. At larger operations, they do grunt work... they read a document about what they're supposed to program, and follow the instructions until the stuff compiles.

Software engineers and computer scientists are in charge of designing the software and solving the computational problems. In theory, you could do both without ever programming. In practice, you will learn a lot about programming as well. This doesn't make it a programming degree... math majors solve lots of equations, but their degree isn't in solving equations. High schoolers can solve equations and get numbers.

Basically, SE and CS are much harder, rewarding, and in demand careers than programming is. Programming is sort of the "burger flipping" of the software world, except the job security isn't as good.

Physics Engineer

Hey! Electrical is no harder or easier than any of the other disciplines, just different.
Job opportunities for engineers are quite good (I got a job recently :))

"I just want to get into a career that is secure and gets me a good amount of money."

All the engineering fields are pretty good, but make sure to pick what YOU really enjoy doing. Security and money won't help you wake up everyday to go to a boring job.

These sites will help you pick a major:
http://subversiveguidetoeng.blogspot.com/2009/03/picking-majorfield.html
http://www.careercornerstone.org

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the different engineering majors available?

There are several different engineering majors to choose from, including mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, chemical engineering, and computer engineering. Each major focuses on a specific discipline and has its own unique set of courses and career paths.

2. How do I decide which engineering major is right for me?

The best way to decide which engineering major is right for you is to explore your interests and strengths. Consider which subjects you excel in and what type of work you enjoy. You can also talk to professionals in different engineering fields or take introductory courses to get a better understanding of each major.

3. Are there any overlapping courses between different engineering majors?

Yes, there are some courses that may overlap between different engineering majors. For example, all engineering majors will likely require some basic math and science courses. However, as you progress in your major, the courses will become more specialized and specific to your chosen discipline.

4. What are the job prospects for different engineering majors?

The job prospects for different engineering majors vary, depending on the current demand for that particular field. However, overall, engineering majors have a high job placement rate and can lead to a variety of career opportunities in industries such as technology, manufacturing, and construction.

5. Can I switch engineering majors if I change my mind?

Yes, it is possible to switch engineering majors if you change your mind. However, depending on how different the majors are, you may have to take additional courses or spend more time in school. It is important to thoroughly research and consider your options before making a change in your major.