Which formulas describe the magnetic field/field lines?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving plotting the vector and fieldlines of a magnetic dipole on an xy plane using classical physics and electromagnetic field knowledge. The individual is seeking help and asks for the relevant formulas. A helpful resource is suggested.
ahxbshe1
hello!
im not very familiar with electromagnetic fields and classical physics, so i turn to you for help,
a problem:
assume you have a magnetic dipole in center (0,0) of a xy plane,
i want to plot the vector of the field at an arbitary point on this plane,and to plot the filedlines, how do i do this? which formulas describe the magnetic field/fieldlines?
thankyou verymuch
ahxbshe

Physics news on Phys.org
ahxbshe1 said:
hello!
im not very familiar with electromagnetic fields and classical physics, so i turn to you for help,
a problem:
assume you have a magnetic dipole in center (0,0) of a xy plane,
i want to plot the vector of the field at an arbitary point on this plane,and to plot the filedlines, how do i do this? which formulas describe the magnetic field/fieldlines?
thankyou verymuch
ahxbshe

Welcome to the PF. This web page has a reasonable introduction to magnetic field. Does it help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field

Hello ahxbshe,

To calculate the magnetic field at an arbitrary point on the xy plane, you can use the formula for the magnetic field of a magnetic dipole:

B = (μ0/4π) * (3r̂ * m̂ - m * r̂) / r^3

Where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability of free space, r̂ is the unit vector pointing from the dipole to the point of interest, m̂ is the unit vector in the direction of the dipole moment, m is the magnitude of the dipole moment, and r is the distance from the dipole to the point of interest.

To plot the field lines, you can use the formula for the magnetic field lines of a magnetic dipole:

r = m * sin(θ) / Bθ

Where r is the distance from the dipole, m is the magnitude of the dipole moment, θ is the angle between the dipole moment and the point of interest, and Bθ is the component of the magnetic field perpendicular to the dipole moment.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification.

1. What is the equation for calculating the magnetic field of a current-carrying wire?

The equation for calculating the magnetic field (B) of a current-carrying wire is B = μ0I/2πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space (4π x 10^-7 N/A^2), I is the current in the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

2. How do you determine the direction of a magnetic field using the right-hand rule?

The right-hand rule states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the current in a wire, the direction of your curled fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic field around the wire.

3. What is the formula for the magnetic field of a solenoid?

The formula for the magnetic field (B) of a solenoid is B = μ0nI, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, n is the number of turns per unit length, and I is the current in the solenoid.

4. How do I calculate the magnetic field at a point due to multiple current-carrying wires?

To calculate the magnetic field at a point due to multiple current-carrying wires, you can use the superposition principle. This states that the total magnetic field at a point is the vector sum of the individual magnetic fields produced by each wire.

5. What is the equation for finding the magnetic field at the center of a circular loop of wire?

The equation for finding the magnetic field (B) at the center of a circular loop of wire is B = μ0I/2R, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the loop, and R is the radius of the loop.