Which graduation degree to go for?

• Thread starter Zoheb Sayed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the best way for your sister to pursue astrophysics is to get a BSc in Physics and a MSc in Physics or Astrophysics.
Zoheb Sayed
Hello everyone,
My younger sister just finished school and will be going for college, she wants to pursue astrophysics through INDIAN INSTITUTE FOR SPACE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY. But before doing that she needs to get a graduation degree in either of the following. Please advice which one is better and will help her in her higher studies in astrophysics. Thanks in advance.
BE/B. Tech or equivalent degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering,
Electrical Engineering,
Electronics and Electrical Engineering, Physical Science,
Engineering Science,
Engineering Physics.
All the above are 4 years courses
OR
MS/M.Sc in Physics.
This one is 5 years( 3 yrs bsc + 2 yrs MSc)

Physics news on Phys.org
She wants to get a PhD in Astrophysics ?

The best way to do that is to get a BSc in Physics and a MSc in Physics or Astrophysics if she has that possibility.

Likes Zoheb Sayed and Dr. Courtney
gillouche said:
She wants to get a PhD in Astrophysics ?

The best way to do that is to get a BSc in Physics and a MSc in Physics or Astrophysics if she has that possibility.
Thank for the reply. I will put this as my first priority then.
I have query that bsc followed by msc will cost her 5 years and then if unfortunately she doesn't make it through the entrance exams of the collg that offers astrophysics she will have very limited job opportunites.
If she does a Btech, that takes 4 years and if she unfortunately doesn't make it to the reqd collg she has some better job opportunities.
So Please advice which of the listed Btech courses above she should go for.( this I'll keep as a back up in case she doesn't get bsc physics)
I might be sounding a bit worried here, its just that I'm too protective of her and funds are limited too, still I want to provide her with the best that I can.
Thanx in advance again.

1. What are the different types of graduation degrees available?

There are several types of graduation degrees available, including Bachelor's degrees, Associate's degrees, and Honors degrees. Each type of degree has its own focus and requirements, so it's important to research and choose the one that best aligns with your academic and career goals.

2. How do I decide which graduation degree is right for me?

The best way to decide which graduation degree is right for you is to consider your interests, strengths, and future career goals. Think about the subjects you enjoy studying and the skills you want to develop, and research the different degrees that can help you achieve those goals.

3. What is the difference between a Bachelor's degree and an Associate's degree?

A Bachelor's degree typically takes four years to complete and is considered a more advanced and specialized degree compared to an Associate's degree, which usually takes two years to complete. A Bachelor's degree provides a deeper and more comprehensive understanding of a subject, while an Associate's degree may provide a broader overview.

4. What is an Honors degree and how is it different from a regular degree?

An Honors degree is an advanced and prestigious program that typically requires students to maintain a high GPA and complete additional coursework beyond the standard requirements for a regular degree. Honors degrees are usually offered in specific fields and can provide students with a more competitive edge in the job market.

5. How important is the reputation of the university or college when choosing a graduation degree?

The reputation of the university or college can be an important factor when choosing a graduation degree, as it can impact the quality of education, resources available, and job opportunities after graduation. However, it's also important to consider factors such as program curriculum, faculty, and cost when making a decision.