Which holds greater bias: classism or racism?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bias
In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between social classes and racial identity in terms of surmountability. The speaker argues that social classes are harder to surmount due to people's instinctual ability to identify others within their own class. They give the example of Donald Trump and his failed attempts at attaining a higher social class due to his equating it with money. The conversation also touches on racism and classism, with the majority believing that racism is a greater hurdle to overcome. However, there is a discussion on how classism is still a prevalent issue and may become a bigger problem in the future as racism becomes less acceptable. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in finding statistics on the impact of classism and the potential for classism to
Loren Booda
Are social classes more or less surmountable than racial identity?

Physics news on Phys.org
i say social classes are harder to surmount. people of a certain class always seem to find each other. they know each other by instinct, and can easily spot fakers. take Donald Trump for instance. he's coveted "class" his whole life, but has never seemed to attain it because he equates it with money. sure, he's good at making money, but has he ever really crossed that cultural barrier he aspires to? i don't think so. it's not who he is.

I would imagine racism. How much more bias can you be than to dislike or look down upon a person for no reason other than the colour of their skin?

Unless there is an incredibly large gap between persons the ability to identify one as being of a lower or upper class is mostly wishful thinking. I've met a millionaire that dressed in jeans, flannels, and cowboy boots. He drove a sensible pickup truck and you could often see him whittling outside of the coffee house I worked at. Rarely ever talked about money or let on that he might be any more than comfortably retired on a pension. I've also met people that were poor primarily because they spent all of their money on having a nice car and nice clothes and such. People working for not much more than minimum wage that drove around in a Lexus with nice clothes, a gold watch, and wearing expensive cologne.

I would say that racism is a much greater hurdle.

If someone judges you on the color of your skin or the slant of your eyes, nothing you can do can change that.

If it's just a matter of getting in with snobs, you can learn how to fool them. The old rich doesn't mean much anymore in western countries. Money gets you accepted now. There isn't as much snobbery around "nouveau riche" now as in the past. Celebrity rich and flash in the pan rich is all you need in greedy circles now. No one knows what having "class" or "etiquette" is anymore. It's all been thrown out the window.

Classism is much stronger than racism though. An adopted non white gets almost as little "racism" as whites.

Klockan3 said:
Classism is much stronger than racism though. An adopted non white gets almost as little "racism" as whites.

Any statistics? I tried to look but adoption statistics pages are difficult to wade through and usually not very specific.

I did find though that apparently the system itself is racist when it comes to interracial adoption.
http://academic.udayton.edu/race/04needs/adopt03.htm

It doesn't matter with which wall we bang our head... finally it hurts

Considering I make below the poverty line, I have much more in common with other races that are in my own class than I do with people of my own race in the middle class or upper class. My 2 best friends(one I went to Iraq with and the other who was military with a combat background) are of another race but all can tell relate to similar previous experiences. I would say classism. Though I would love to see a study on this.

Loren Booda said:
Are social classes more or less surmountable than racial identity?

I would say that racism is stronger than classism, at least today. But racism is quickly becoming unfashionable,* while classism is roughly as popular now as ever (at least in my view). So perhaps after a few generations, as not-openly-racist generations give way to largely-not-racist generations, classism will become more of a problem. I would view that as a success of great magnitude.

* N.B., _not_ the same as disappearing.

1. What is classism and racism?

Classism is the prejudice or discrimination based on social class or economic status. Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another and the discrimination against individuals based on their race.

2. How do classism and racism manifest in society?

Classism can manifest in society through unequal access to resources, opportunities, and privileges based on social class. Racism can manifest through hate crimes, microaggressions, and systemic discrimination against individuals of a certain race.

3. Which one holds greater bias: classism or racism?

It is difficult to determine which holds greater bias, as both classism and racism perpetuate discrimination and prejudice toward certain groups of people. It is important to recognize that both forms of discrimination can have severe consequences for individuals and society as a whole.

4. Can classism and racism intersect?

Yes, classism and racism can intersect, creating additional barriers for individuals who belong to both marginalized groups. For example, individuals who are both black and low-income may face discrimination based on their race and economic status.

5. How can we address and combat classism and racism?

To address and combat classism and racism, it is important to educate ourselves and others about these issues, challenge our own biases and privileges, and actively support and uplift marginalized communities. It is also important to advocate for systemic and institutional changes that promote equality and fairness for all individuals, regardless of their social class or race.