Which mass stars dominate the volume of ionized natal star forming material?

In summary, the conversation discusses the initial mass function (IMF) in a star forming cloud and the number of hydrogen Lyman continuum photons created by stars of different masses. The conversation also considers a given formula and its potential use in finding the dominant mass of stars in the ionized natal star forming material. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of finding the maximum value of an expression for the total number of photons as a function of mass to determine the dominant mass. However, an alternative method using the given formula is not apparent.
Piano man

Homework Statement

In a particular star forming cloud the initial mass function (IMF) is given by
[tex] N(M_{*})=Cexp(-M_*^2) [/tex]
where C is a normalisation constant. (The IMF describes the initial relative number of stars of different masses). Assuming that the number of hydrogen Lyman continuum photons created by stars of different mass, [tex] N_{Lyc}=10^{34}M_*^{32}[/tex] which mass stars dominate the volume of ionized natal star forming material?

Homework Equations

I've found this equation while I was searching for a lead:

[tex]N=\int_{m_1}^{m_2} dN=\int_{m_1}^{m_2} \frac{dN}{dm}dm[/tex]

but I'm not sure what values to use as integration limits.

Also, the problem sheet gives the following formula (including gamma and Riemann zeta functions) which is probably useful at some point, though I don't know where or how.

[tex] \int_0^\infty x^n\frac{1}{exp(x)-1}dx=\zeta(n+1)\Gamma(n+1)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My first step was differentiating the expression I was given to get
[tex]\frac{dN}{dM}=-2M_*Cexp(-M_*^2)[/tex]
which looks like something similar to the first equation, and also hints at the formula given in the problem sheet.
But I'm really not sure where to go from here, and how to incorporate the value given for [tex]N_{Lyc}[/tex].
Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looking at the expression I got for [tex]\frac{dN}{dM}[/tex], and assuming we're integrating from zero to infinity, the integral looks like
[tex]-2C \int_0^{\infty}M_{*}\frac{1}{exp(M_{*}^2)}dM_{*}[/tex]
which looks quite like the formula given,
[tex]\int_0^\infty x^n\frac{1}{exp(x)-1}dx[/tex]
except for the -1 on the bottom.

Any ideas as to how to move forward?

Last edited:
Hmm. Given a formula for the number of stars produced of a given mass M, and a formula for the number of (particular) photons produced by a star of a given mass M, what would be an expression for the total number of such photons produced by all stars of a given mass M?

Well, I'd say that would be
(Total number of photons produced by all stars of given mass M) = (Number of photons produced by a star of mass M) x (Number of stars of mass M).
Or in symbols
[tex] N_{ph-tot}(M_*)=N_{Lyc}(M_*)*N(M_*)[/tex]
And that would give
[tex] N_{ph-tot}(M_*)=10^{34}CM_*^{32}exp(-M_*^2) [/tex]

Is that right?

If so, what's the next step, as it is still not in the form of the given integral?

Piano man said:
Well, I'd say that would be
(Total number of photons produced by all stars of given mass M) = (Number of photons produced by a star of mass M) x (Number of stars of mass M).
Or in symbols
[tex] N_{ph-tot}(M_*)=N_{Lyc}(M_*)*N(M_*)[/tex]
And that would give
[tex] N_{ph-tot}(M_*)=10^{34}CM_*^{32}exp(-M_*^2) [/tex]

Is that right?

If so, what's the next step, as it is still not in the form of the given integral?

If that is an expression for the total number of photons as a function of M, I'd look for the M that gives that expression a maximum value... I wouldn't presuppose that the problem has to involve an integral that happens to appear on the problem sheet.

Okay, so differentiating and setting to zero gives
[tex]\frac{dN}{dM}=10^{34}C\frac{d}{dM}\left[M^{32}exp(-M^2)\right]=0[/tex]
giving
[tex]32M^{31}exp(-M^2)=2M^{33}exp(-M^2)[/tex]
which simplifies to
[tex]M=4[/tex]

So how do I interpret that? It only really makes sense if it's in units of Msun..

While that method seems to make sense (and thanks for your help) it's quite unusual for a formula to appear that isn't necessary for the problem.

Could there be an alternative method that requires the use of the given formula?

Piano man said:
Okay, so differentiating and setting to zero gives
[tex]\frac{dN}{dM}=10^{34}C\frac{d}{dM}\left[M^{32}exp(-M^2)\right]=0[/tex]
giving
[tex]32M^{31}exp(-M^2)=2M^{33}exp(-M^2)[/tex]
which simplifies to
[tex]M=4[/tex]

So how do I interpret that? It only really makes sense if it's in units of Msun..
Presumably the "normalisation constant", C, takes care of the mass units. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were to be chosen to produce units of Msun :wink:
While that method seems to make sense (and thanks for your help) it's quite unusual for a formula to appear that isn't necessary for the problem.

Could there be an alternative method that requires the use of the given formula?
Nothing springs to mind.

Thanks very much for your help :)

1. What is the Initial Mass Function (IMF)?

The Initial Mass Function is a mathematical function that describes the distribution of masses for a population of newly formed stars.

2. How does the IMF affect star formation?

The IMF plays a crucial role in determining the number and types of stars that form in a given region. It dictates the distribution of masses that will form into stars, with more low-mass stars forming than high-mass stars.

3. What factors influence the shape of the IMF?

The shape of the IMF is influenced by various physical processes such as turbulence, fragmentation, and accretion rates. The properties of the molecular cloud where star formation occurs also play a role.

4. Can the IMF change over time?

The IMF is thought to be relatively constant over time, with only small variations. However, it is still an active area of research and some studies suggest that the IMF may vary in different environments and at different times in the universe's history.

5. How is the IMF measured?

The IMF is typically measured by observing a population of stars in a given region and determining the distribution of masses. This can be done through various methods such as photometry, spectroscopy, and astrometry.