Which momenta can never be measured?

• Thread starter hb1547
  • Start date
Therefore, in summary, the momenta that can never be measured for this particle are those for which the wave function in momentum space, a(p), is equal to zero.
hb1547

Homework Statement

"A particle is described by:
[tex] \psi(x) = \left\{
\begin{array}{lr}
C & : \left|x\right| \leq +\frac{1}{2w}\\
0 & : \left|x\right| > \frac{1}{2w}
\end{array}
\right.[/tex]

What momenta can never be measured?"

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta p \Delta x \geq \frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex]
- Others?

The Attempt at a Solution

Not entirely sure what to do. I tried solving for Delta p, but that answer didn't really make sense to me. From what I gathered, Delta x must be equal to W, so that'd mean:

[tex]\Delta p = \frac{\hbar}{2w}[/tex]

But I can tell this isn't right, but I'm not sure if I'm going in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about the 1/2 coefficient on the right hand side but just looking at the wave function being equal to zero raises flags for me. I'd say that you can't observe the momenta when -1/2w < x < 1/2w. The wave function is giving you a probability density then telling you that it is zero outside of this interval.

Just to clarify [tex]\Delta[/tex]x is not x. Typically you are given a range.

When you measure Momentum, the state will collapse into an eigenstate of the momentum operator. The probability of measuring a given value of momentum is therefore going to be the inner product of the corresponding momentum eigenstate with the original state. Which momenta give a probability of zero?

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that the wave function can be interpreted as a probability density function thus the probability is the integral over all space. With this problem the probability density is zero except from -1/2w to 1/2w and is constant within that range.
So the momentum is obervable where a value of x is possible or within the specified range. Is my reasoning flawed somewhere?

Bhumble said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that the wave function can be interpreted as a probability density function thus the probability is the integral over all space. With this problem the probability density is zero except from -1/2w to 1/2w and is constant within that range.
So the momentum is obervable where a value of x is possible or within the specified range. Is my reasoning flawed somewhere?

The wavefunction here is given in position space, so the corresponding probability density is the one that gives you the probability of finding the particle in a position between x and x + dx. If you want the probability density for momentum values, you need to compute the Fourier transform to find the wavefunction in momentum space.

fzero said:
The wavefunction here is given in position space, so the corresponding probability density is the one that gives you the probability of finding the particle in a position between x and x + dx. If you want the probability density for momentum values, you need to compute the Fourier transform to find the wavefunction in momentum space.

The class I'm taking doesn't expect us to use Fourier transformations yet, is there another way of looking at this?

hb1547 said:
The class I'm taking doesn't expect us to use Fourier transformations yet, is there another way of looking at this?

It may not have been called a Fourier transform, but the momentum space wavefunction is related to that in position space by the integral

[tex]\psi(p) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-ipx/\hbar} \psi(x)~dx. [/tex]

You will have to normalize [tex]\psi(p)[/tex] to finish the problem.

Find the wave function in momentum representation:

[tex]
a(p) = \frac{1}{(2\pi \, \hbar)^{\frac{1}{2}}} \, \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{\exp\left[-\frac{i}{\hbar} \, p \, x\right] \, \psi(x) \, dx}
[/tex]

The probability density function for different values of momentum is then:

[tex]
|a(p)|^{2}
[/tex]

Therefore, whenever [itex]a(p) = 0[/itex], those values of momentum have zero probability of being measured, i.e. they are never measured.

1. What is momentum and why is it important in physics?

Momentum is a measure of the quantity of motion of an object. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. In physics, momentum is important because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other.

2. Which momenta can never be measured?

According to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, it is impossible to simultaneously measure the exact position and momentum of a particle. This means that there is always a level of uncertainty in the measurement of momentum, and therefore some momenta can never be measured with 100% accuracy.

3. Why is it impossible to measure certain momenta?

This is due to the fact that the act of measuring momentum involves interacting with the particle, which in turn changes its momentum. This is known as the observer effect, where the act of observing something affects its behavior.

4. Can we still make predictions about the momentum of a particle even if it cannot be measured?

Yes, we can still make predictions about the momentum of a particle using mathematical models and theories. These predictions may not be 100% accurate, but they can still provide valuable information about the behavior of particles.

5. How does the uncertainty principle relate to the measurement of momenta?

The uncertainty principle states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties of a particle, such as position and momentum, can be known simultaneously. This means that the more accurately we measure one property, the less accurately we can measure the other, and vice versa.