Which Opamp is Best for Hydrophone Interface?

• Thread starter lcr2139
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opamp
In summary, the article recommends selecting an inverting/noninverting opamp to interface the hydrophone because they both have nearly identical signal-to--noise ratios.
lcr2139

Homework Statement

Select a suitable opamp to interface the hydrophone. Ideally the hydrophone noise will dominate the system. Consider the input referred 1. voltage noise, 2. current noise, 3. input capacitance, and 4. input impedance of the opamp.

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a265915.pdf

Homework Equations

which opamp would have noise dominate the system, inverting or noninverting?

The Attempt at a Solution

inverting/non inverting opamp described in link.
i think I would pick an inverting/noninverting opamp, but which have noise dominate the system?
I read the article and I am confused at this part.

Physics news on Phys.org
lcr2139 said:
i think I would pick an inverting/noninverting opamp, but which have noise dominate the system?

I only looked at the conclusions (on page 24 in the link). It says..

"Examination of the two amplifier configurations showed nearly identical signal-to--noise ratio".

PS: The problem statement says..

"Ideally the hydrophone noise will dominate the system"

So I think your first step is to quantify the hydrophone noise. Then ensure that the noise introduced by the pre-amp is significantly lower than that.

I now understand that I have to do research to find approximately the perfect opamp. However, I do not know how to calculate voltage noise, current noise, input capacitance, and input impedance.

lcr2139 said:
I now understand that I have to do research to find approximately the perfect opamp.
Look at post #2!

lcr2139 said:
I now understand that I have to do research to find approximately the perfect opamp. However, I do not know how to calculate voltage noise, current noise, input capacitance, and input impedance.
You don't calculate these, you look them up.
Once you determine whether voltage noise, current noise, and/or other op amp parameters are of significance in your particular application you can go to a website like TI's or Analog Devices's and select the best unit.
http://www.analog.com/parametricsearch/en/10294#10294/p299=95|50000000&p4502=7000|50000000&p4101=0.0000000008|1e-8&d=sel|0|-1|299|4502|300|4101|2839|2840|4095|4108|164|-3|4118

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an opamp?

An opamp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic device that amplifies the difference between two input signals. It is commonly used in a variety of electronic circuits, such as audio amplifiers, filters, and voltage regulators.

2. How do I choose a suitable opamp?

Choosing a suitable opamp depends on the specific requirements of your circuit. Some factors to consider include the desired gain, input and output impedance, bandwidth, and supply voltage. It is also important to consider the opamp's noise level and distortion characteristics for your application.

3. What are the different types of opamps?

There are several different types of opamps, including general purpose, high-speed, low-power, and precision opamps. Each type has its own unique characteristics and is suitable for different applications. For example, a general purpose opamp may be suitable for audio amplification, while a precision opamp may be better for precision measurement circuits.

4. How do I calculate the gain of an opamp circuit?

The gain of an opamp circuit can be calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. In an inverting opamp circuit, the gain is equal to the ratio of the feedback resistor to the input resistor. In a non-inverting opamp circuit, the gain is equal to 1 + (feedback resistor/input resistor).

5. What are some common applications of opamps?

Opamps have a wide range of applications in electronics, including audio and video signal processing, sensors and transducers, power supplies, and control systems. They are also commonly used in instrumentation and measurement circuits, such as oscilloscopes and multimeters.