Choosing a PhD Program in Theoretical Physics: Liverpool or Swansea?

• Programs
  • Thread starter latentcorpse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary: But you didn't. So I don't think you have enough information to base a decision on anything other than the research group and the research topic.In summary, the speaker is deciding between two PhD offers in Theoretical Physics, one at Liverpool University and the other at Swansea University. They are seeking advice from others who may have experience with either institution. The advantages of Liverpool are its membership in the Russell Group and its location in a bigger city, while Swansea has a larger research group and offers outdoor activities. However, the speaker is advised to focus on the research group and topic and to not place too much importance on the Russell Group factor. Ultimately, the decision should be based on personal impression of the group and the research topic, rather than
latentcorpse
So I have 2 PhD offers at the moment for Theoretical Physics. Both of them are to work on quantum gravity/strings etc. One is at Liverpool University and the other is at Swansea University. I am not sure how to decide between them. At the moment, I have:

Liverpool>Swansea:
(i) Liverpool is a member of the Russell Group and Swansea is not
(ii) Liverpool is a bigger city so there is probably "more to do"

Swansea>Liverpool:
(i) Apparently Swansea has the joint third biggest research group in the UK for theoretical physics whereas Liverpool is a bit smaller. This would put Swansea up with Cambridge/Imperial etc in terms of department size
(ii) Good location on coast. Lots of outdoors-y stuff to do which I enjoy.

Essentially, I wanted to know if anybody had any experience of either of these places (academically or not) and was willing to offer advice. Of course, I would like to hear any advice even if you don't have any direct experience of either.

Thanks very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't say much about either university, but I would advise ignoring the 'Russell group' factor. It's not very meaningful at the best of times, and is irrelevant for research.

Also, good luck with quantum gravity.

You should have spoken with the group leaders, and possibly met the groups [at least we show our applicants around and introduce them to the group]. If the actual research topic makes so little of a difference to you (at least it's not listed as an advantage of either position) then my advice is to base your decision on your personal impression of the group. If you cannot decide from that, pick Swansea: "Larger town" is not a bonus, whereas "lots of outdoors-y stuff to do which I enjoy" is. And of course consider to what extent you want to value the opinion of a random stranger on the Internet who knows nothing about you above your own intuition.

I think the environment is important, but be realistic. You will be a graduate student, I don't think you will get to enjoy too much the outdoors.

dcpo said:
I can't say much about either university, but I would advise ignoring the 'Russell group' factor. It's not very meaningful at the best of times, and is irrelevant for research.

i thought it was very important for research. russell group unis get more research funding - surely this improves their quality?

Timo said:
You should have spoken with the group leaders, and possibly met the groups [at least we show our applicants around and introduce them to the group]. If the actual research topic makes so little of a difference to you (at least it's not listed as an advantage of either position) then my advice is to base your decision on your personal impression of the group. If you cannot decide from that, pick Swansea: "Larger town" is not a bonus, whereas "lots of outdoors-y stuff to do which I enjoy" is. And of course consider to what extent you want to value the opinion of a random stranger on the Internet who knows nothing about you above your own intuition.

I'm currently on the other side of the world so unfortunately a "meet and greet" was not possible.

I get the impression that with Liverpool being a larger town, there would be more to see and do though.

I like your advice about the people in the group. I was interviewed online by both groups. Both interviews had 2 people present. One of the Swansea guys was very helpful and friendly and the other was nice to start with then seemed a bit impatient.
At Liverpool they both seemed nice enough but weren't as talkative/enthusiastic as the Swansea guy.
Of course, choosing Swansea just because they have one nice member of staff (who probably wouldn't be my supervisor anyway) might be a bad choice.

Cheers.

latentcorpse said:
i thought it was very important for research. russell group unis get more research funding - surely this improves their quality?
The Russell group contains some of the top universities in the country, so it's not surprising that collectively they attract a lot of funding, but what you're interested in is the research funding your department and group will have access to. What I'm saying is that membership of the Russell group is in itself meaningless for research, though it may be associated with things that are relevant, but you can check the important things independently.

latentcorpse said:
Of course, choosing Swansea just because they have one nice member of staff (who probably wouldn't be my supervisor anyway) might be a bad choice.
I tend to agree there. For some silly reason, I was implicitly assuming you personally went to the interviews, in which case you would not only have met the interviewers, but also seen the campus and the institute, and possibly had had the time to chat with some other group members.

Related to Choosing a PhD Program in Theoretical Physics: Liverpool or Swansea?

1. What factors should I consider when deciding which PhD offer to accept?

When deciding which PhD offer to accept, there are several factors to consider. These include the reputation and ranking of the university, the research opportunities and resources available, the mentorship and support provided by faculty, the location and cost of living, and any potential funding or scholarships offered.

2. Is it better to choose a PhD program based on the topic or the university?

This ultimately depends on your individual goals and priorities. If you have a specific research interest, then choosing a program based on the topic may be more beneficial. However, if you value a prestigious university and the opportunities it may provide, then choosing based on the university may be a better option.

3. Should I consider the faculty and their research interests when deciding on a PhD offer?

Yes, the faculty and their research interests should definitely be taken into consideration. It is important to choose a program with faculty who align with your research interests and can provide mentorship and support throughout your PhD journey.

4. How important is the funding package offered with a PhD offer?

Funding is an important factor to consider when deciding on a PhD offer. It can significantly impact your financial stability and ability to focus on your research. However, it is also important to consider the overall quality and fit of the program, as well as potential opportunities for funding through grants and scholarships.

5. Is it common to negotiate the terms of a PhD offer?

Yes, it is not uncommon for students to negotiate the terms of their PhD offer, particularly when it comes to funding or specific research opportunities. However, it is important to approach negotiations professionally and respectfully, and to have a clear understanding of what you are seeking and why.