Which runner has a larger maximum speed?

In summary, the conversation discusses two runners in a 100-meter dash, where the first runner reaches maximum speed more quickly than the second runner. Both runners maintain constant speed and cross the finish line at the same time. The question is which runner has a larger maximum speed. The explanation is that on a velocity-time graph, the area under the graph represents distance, and since both runners cover the same distance in the same time interval, their average velocity must be the same. Therefore, the only factor that can change is the velocity from point to point. By bringing the maximum speed higher for runner two, it compensates for the time it took to reach maximum speed, making the remaining area under the graph larger and resulting in a higher maximum speed
lorenamtimas

Homework Statement

Suppose that two runners run a 100-meter dash, but the first runner reaches maximum speed more quickly than the second runner. Both runners maintain constant speed once they have reached their maximum speed and cross the finish line at the same time. Which runner has the larger maximum speed? Explain.

Homework Equations

No relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the second runner is the one who reaches a larger maximum speed. I just don't know how it relates to a velocity-time graph. The books explains that "if both runners cover the same distance in the same time interval, then their average velocity has to be the same and the area under the curves on a velocity-time graph are the same". Being that Conceptual Physics is the first physics class I have ever taken I can't grasp this concept. Please help me understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright.

On a velocity time graph, the area under the graph is distance traveled, since you multiply the two axes together.

So, as they both reach the finish at the same time, and the area under the graph (distance) is constant, the only factor that is changing is the velocity from point to point.

Now, in the beginning runner one accelerates quickly up to max speed and stays there. Runner two accelerates more slowly, so imagine his line on the velocity time graph being less steep. However, we determined that the area must be constant. How do we weight up for the fact that runner two has less area under the graph (distance covered) in the start? Well, by bringing the maximum speed higher than that of runner one, the remaining area is larger, and therefore more distance is covered by runner two to the point where they finish at the same time.

Therefore runner two has the highest maximum speed. Hope that makes sense.

I think I get it. In regards to looking at what the graph may look like for this situation runner two has not a steeper slope but a higher one to compensate for the time it took for him/her to reach maximum speed. Do I have that right DarklightA?

1. What factors affect a runner's maximum speed?

There are several factors that can influence a runner's maximum speed, including their physical fitness level, training regimen, genetics, running technique, and environmental conditions such as weather and terrain.

2. Is it possible to accurately determine a runner's maximum speed?

While it is difficult to measure a runner's exact maximum speed, it is possible to estimate it through various methods such as race times, speed tests, and biomechanical analysis. However, a runner's maximum speed may also vary depending on the specific distance or terrain they are running on.

3. Can a runner's maximum speed change over time?

Yes, a runner's maximum speed can change over time due to factors such as age, physical conditioning, and injuries. With proper training and conditioning, a runner may be able to improve their maximum speed.

4. How does a runner's maximum speed compare to other athletes?

The maximum speed of a runner can vary greatly depending on their specialty and training. For example, a sprinter may have a higher maximum speed than a long-distance runner. In general, runners tend to have higher maximum speeds compared to other types of athletes due to the nature of their sport.

5. Can technology help improve a runner's maximum speed?

Technology can certainly aid in improving a runner's maximum speed. For example, wearable devices can track and analyze a runner's performance, helping them to identify areas for improvement. Additionally, advancements in shoe design and materials can also contribute to a runner's maximum speed.