1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Which tank fills first

1. Aug 2, 2017 #1
    upload_2017-8-2_16-57-42.png

I originally thought tank K because the area in tank J is much larger than the area in the pipe connecting J to I
    But then I realize Bernoulli's equation does not include volume but only includes height.
    H_1, H_2 = height of water tank J, height of water in pipe between tanks J and I
    P, p, V = pressure, density, velocity
    $$P_1+pgH_1+\frac{1}{2}pV_1^2=P_2+pgH_2+\frac{1}{2}pV_2^2$$
    Pressure terms are the same, so is density. Velocity = 0, gravity cancels out ##H_1=H_2##
    So even in the small pipe connecting J to I, the water level is going to be the same as the height of water in the tank J.

Is this correct?

Also note the pipe from C to D is blocked off.
    Also I assume A would be trivial solution so water must exit pipe faster than the tap fills tank A

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2017 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

The water is dripping in. Flow velocity will be negligible.

4. Aug 2, 2017 #3
    It really depends on what point do you consider the tank is 'full', let's say that the point full is when the tank is overfilling. I think the tank H would get filled first because the connection JI goes higher than connection JL.

5. Aug 2, 2017 #4
    I say F will fill up (overflowing) first!

6. Aug 2, 2017 #5

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

There is no path into tank H.

7. Aug 2, 2017 #6
    whoops that's true. Then my guess is F. Thanks.

8. Aug 2, 2017 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Tank G fills up first. The water flows A B C D G. No water goes into J. No water goes into E.

Darn I didn't spot the blocked pipe. Ok so yes it's F.

9. Aug 2, 2017 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's G

10. Aug 2, 2017 #9

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

You've missed the blocked pipe C to D.

11. Aug 2, 2017 #10

Nugatory

A and B fill to the level of their outputs; C fills to the level of its outlet into J; J fills to the level of its outlet into L; L fills to the level of the top of F; and F fills and overflows. Once F is full, every drop of water into A causes another drop to overflow from F and the system is in steady state.

12. Aug 2, 2017 #11

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Damn ! Thanks.

CWaters even SAID it was there and I still couldn't see it. o:)

13. Aug 2, 2017 #12
    So, basically, the area doesn't matter of tank J, it wont push the water through the pipe higher than its own water level? Tank J is roughly 27 times the cross sectional area then the pipe... but it doesn't matter right?

14. Aug 2, 2017 #13

Nugatory

Not as long as the rate at which water enters the tank is small compared with the rate at which a single pipe can carry the water out - the water level will not rise above the height of the lowest flowing pipe. The illustration suggests that we're dealing with a dripping faucet which will easily be handled by a single pipe - think about an air conditioning unit's condensate drain tray.

15. Aug 2, 2017 #14
    It's K

16. Aug 3, 2017 #15

Nugatory

Can't be - nothing flows from J to I because the level in J doesn't rise above the outlet from J to L.

17. Aug 5, 2017 #16
    I choose L due to pressure and flow

18. Aug 5, 2017 #17

RonL

Gold Member

I agree with you, F will overflow before any others :smile:

19. Aug 5, 2017 #18

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

no ... look again .... F is at a lower level than L which fills F

Like phinds and a couple of others, I originally was going for G as I didn't see the block between C and D

20. Aug 5, 2017 #19

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's the picture for the slow-drip steady-state solution:
    Which tank will fill up first - solution.PNG

21. Aug 8, 2017 #20
    Tank F will fill up first

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook