Which university should I choose for a physics degree in the UK?

• Thread starter Galadirith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uk Uni
In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's decision on which university to attend for a theoretical physics degree, and their interest in specific areas such as Differential Geometry, General and Special relativity, and cosmology. Manchester and Cambridge are mentioned as potential options, with Manchester offering a joint honors degree in mathematics and physics and Cambridge having a strong research program in mathematical physics. The conversation also touches on the differences in course content and the potential for graduate research in various areas within the field of theoretical physics.
Galadirith
Ill be making my decision soon in the next few months as to the Uni I will want to go to in about a years time. I had a hard time choosing between physics and maths, but I think rested on physics. I am really looking for advice on which uni to chose based on my interests, I have quite a good look but really value the opinions of people on PF.

Im really interested in Differential Geometry, General and Special relativity and cosmology, one of the main thing that has really interested me is Miguel Alcubierres warp drive metric, and research around that, which I know isn't really a big research area at all. Can anyone suggest any UK unis that have good research in those areas. I've also seen that Manchester offer a theoretical physics course, and its got such a large research department coupled with the observatory up there it looks really good, has anyone got any info on the course or better yet doing it. I have look at Oxford and Cambridge, and really like the idea of much smaller intimate session, I know also Manchester have a similar thing too. Any comments would be a great help, thanks :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
I took a theoretical physics degree at Manchester, it's pretty good, although from the interests you listed, it sounds like you would maybe enjoy the mathematics/physics joint honours degree, rather than theoretical physics.

To be honest at undergrad level there is not that much difference between physics courses across the UK in terms of content. All will include QM, spec rel, Electromag etc. At Manchester even if you are not enrolled in the theoretical course, you can still take theory courses, my friend who did just straight physics, studied exactly the same courses as myself, the only difference was he had a bit more lab , whereas I had more computational based assignments etc. So really just comes down to how much you like lab.

At Manchester, you won't meet Differential geometry and the like until 4th year, and that is in the context of the General relativity course, not a stand alone course. Plus with math/phys joint you will take things like algebraic geometry, which will be useful for graduate research if you go into the more theoretical areas of string theory. Plus you will get out of a lot of lab, which is always a positive in my book.

Going to Cambridge does have the advantage, that you will take part III of their mathematical tripos, which will enable you to do a PhD at DAMTP if your interests are in mathematical physics. (normally you would have to get your BS or even masters from another UK university, and still have to go to Cambridge for a year to take part III, before being eligible to do a PhD at DAMTP).

Manchester does have strong research interests in particle theory and phenomenology, but not so much string theory, if that is what you're looking toward. If it's string theory you are interested in Durham, Imperial, DAMTP, Oxford spring to mind.

Last edited:

I cannot provide a specific recommendation for which university to choose for a physics degree in the UK. However, I can offer some general advice to help you make your decision.

Firstly, it is important to consider the overall reputation and ranking of the university. This can give you an indication of the quality of education and research opportunities offered at the institution.

Secondly, it is important to research the specific physics department at each university. Look into the faculty members and their areas of research, as well as any notable publications or projects they have been involved in. This can give you an idea of the areas of physics that are strong at each university.

In terms of your specific interests in differential geometry, relativity, and cosmology, it may be helpful to reach out to the physics departments at each university and inquire about the research being conducted in those areas. You can also look into the research centers or institutes at each university that focus on these topics.

Additionally, you may want to consider the structure of the physics program at each university. Some may offer more specialized courses or opportunities for research in your areas of interest.

Lastly, it can also be helpful to visit the universities and attend open days or information sessions to get a feel for the campus and the atmosphere of the physics department.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider all of these factors and make a decision based on what is most important to you and your academic goals. Best of luck in your decision-making process!

Related to Which university should I choose for a physics degree in the UK?

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a university in the UK?

When choosing a university in the UK, you should consider the reputation of the university, the location, the program offerings, the cost of tuition, and the campus culture. It's also important to research the job prospects and networking opportunities available at the university.

2. How important is the university's ranking?

The university's ranking can be important, as it can indicate the quality of education and resources available. However, it should not be the only factor in your decision. It's important to also consider your personal goals and priorities when choosing a university.

3. How can I find out about the university's student satisfaction rate?

You can find out about the university's student satisfaction rate by researching online, reading reviews from current and former students, and contacting the university's student support services. You can also attend university open days and talk to current students to get a better understanding of their experiences.

4. Are there any specific scholarships or financial aid options available at the university?

Yes, most universities in the UK offer scholarships and financial aid options for students. It's important to research and apply for these opportunities early on in the application process. You can also contact the university's financial aid office for more information.

5. How can I make sure the university is a good fit for me?

To ensure the university is a good fit for you, it's important to visit the campus, attend open days, talk to current students and alumni, and research the program curriculum and teaching methods. You should also consider your own personal preferences and goals to determine if the university aligns with them.