Should I Learn Calculus Before Teaching Myself First Year Physics?

• Thread starter fellupahill
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is in college and feels that things are moving too slowly. They want to teach themselves the basics of a first year physics course, but have limited knowledge of calculus. The question is whether they should learn calculus before the physics course or if they can use an algebra-only textbook. According to experts, in first year physics, algebra is more important than calculus. However, it wouldn't hurt to have some basic knowledge of calculus. Additionally, a recent quote states that physics is based on mathematics, so it may be beneficial to study physics first.
fellupahill
Im in college, but things are moving too slow for me. I want to teach myself the basics of a first year physics course. I have almost no calculus knowledge. Should I try to learn calculus before a first year physics course, or would it not hurt to teach myself from an algebra only textbook (Didn't know they existed tbh, another topic mentioned them.)

Physics news on Phys.org
In first year Physics Algebra is more important than Calculus, you are constantly rearranging things in formulas. It wouldn't hurt to learn some basic calculus though, i.e. learn what a derivative, and an integral are and how to integrate/differentiate basic functions. When you study electrodynamics for example though calculus is used extensively, but for now I wouldn't worry to much about it :)

fellupahill, Regarding the importance of mathematics, here’s a quotation I recently read:

“The structure of the natural sciences is as follows. Physics rests on mathematics, chemistry on physics, biology on chemistry, and, in principle, the social sciences on biology.”

“The Folly of Fools”, by Robert Trivers, 2011, Basic Books

fellupahill said:
Im in college, but things are moving too slow for me. I want to teach myself the basics of a first year physics course. I have almost no calculus knowledge.
Are you asking which mathematics to self-study before you do the physics course, or are you asking whether your self-study should be of physics or of maths?

If the latter, then I'd go for physics. It is surely more interesting and with more variety, and there are lots of readable introductory physics textbooks (in second hand bookshops).

Get yourself a taste of physics before the formal introduction.

I understand your desire to learn and progress at a faster pace. However, I would caution against trying to teach yourself a first year physics course without a solid foundation in calculus. Physics is heavily reliant on mathematical concepts and principles, and without a strong understanding of calculus, you may struggle to fully grasp the material.

My recommendation would be to first focus on learning calculus before attempting to teach yourself a first year physics course. This will not only help you in understanding the physics concepts, but it will also benefit you in your future studies and career as a scientist. There are many resources available for learning calculus, such as online courses, textbooks, and tutors. I would suggest doing some research and finding the method that works best for you.

Additionally, I would advise against using an algebra-only textbook for self-teaching a first year physics course. While it may seem like a more accessible option, it may not cover all the necessary topics and may not provide the depth of understanding needed for success in the course.

In conclusion, I would highly recommend focusing on learning calculus first before attempting to teach yourself a first year physics course. This will provide you with a strong foundation and set you up for success in your studies. Good luck!

1. How do I know which way is the best way to teach myself?

The best way to teach yourself will depend on your learning style and the subject matter. Some people learn best through hands-on activities, while others prefer reading or watching videos. It is important to experiment and find the method that works best for you.

2. What resources should I use to teach myself?

There are many resources available to help you teach yourself, such as textbooks, online courses, tutorial videos, and forums. It is important to choose resources that are reputable and align with your learning goals.

3. How do I stay motivated while teaching myself?

Staying motivated can be challenging when teaching yourself, but setting specific goals, creating a schedule, and rewarding yourself for progress can help. It is also helpful to find a study partner or join a study group for accountability and support.

4. How do I know if I am teaching myself effectively?

To ensure you are teaching yourself effectively, regularly assess your understanding of the subject matter. You can do this by practicing problems or teaching the material to someone else. Additionally, seeking feedback from a mentor or tutor can help you identify areas for improvement.

5. How do I overcome obstacles while teaching myself?

Obstacles are inevitable when teaching yourself, but having a growth mindset and seeking help when needed can help you overcome them. It is also important to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.