Who drew the first model of the atom?

In summary: I didn't find anything that specifically mentioned this, but Sommerfeld's extension of the original Bohr model used elliptical orbits.
William Chua
Does anybody know who first drew (not just described but actually drew, even roughly) a model of the atom like the one below, and when:
rutherford-atom-for-carbon_lg.jpg

I'd appreciate it if anybody can point me to an evidence.

Attachments

• rutherford-atom-for-carbon_lg.jpg
    rutherford-atom-for-carbon_lg.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 11,345
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes William Chua
Have you searched the Internet for "History of the Atom"?

Likes William Chua and berkeman
I was hoping someone could point me to sketches like these:
bohr sketch 1.jpg
bohr sketch 2.jpg

I was told these were sketches done by Bohr but it doesn't quite look like the image I was looking for (the one I posted earlier.) It's a very ubiquitous picture. I see it in almost every logo that has something to do with science. But I can't figure out who really first drew that picture. Was it Bohr? Or Rutherford? Or maybe someone else?

Attachments

• bohr sketch 1.jpg
    bohr sketch 1.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 1,161
  • bohr sketch 2.jpg
    bohr sketch 2.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,141
William Chua said:
I see it in almost every logo that has something to do with science.
Like the PF logo... :wink:

Likes William Chua
William Chua said:
I I see it in almost every logo that has something to do with science. But I can't figure out who really first drew that picture. Was it Bohr? Or Rutherford? Or maybe someone else?
I think it *is* just a logo, based on that Bohr sketch on the right.

Likes William Chua
berkeman said:
Like the PF logo... :wink:
Hahaha! Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't notice that! :smile:
But, really, I'm curious who made that drawing first and when.

William Chua said:
Hahaha! Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't notice that! :smile:
But, really, I'm curious who made that drawing first and when.
Pretty sure it was @Greg Bernhardt when he updated the forum software about a year ago... :biggrin:

Likes William Chua and russ_watters
berkeman said:
Pretty sure it was @Greg Bernhardt when he updated the forum software about a year ago... :biggrin:
But I'm also pretty sure @Greg Bernhardt is too young to have done it first. :rolleyes:

Likes Greg Bernhardt and berkeman
William Chua said:
But I'm also pretty sure @Greg Bernhardt is too young to have done it first. :rolleyes:

The first scientist to have a glimpse of the true nature of the atoms was Rutherford. In his experiments (called the Geiger-Mardsen experiments) in 1908, when using golden foils and alpha particles he was able to determine the localization of the positive part of the atom, as the centre of it, and its distance from the electrons or electronic cloud. According to Rutherford, it looked like a mini-solar system, with the negative electrons spinning around the nucleus (positive) like planets around the sun. Bohr refined this system afterwards, to include his energy-level's theory.

I'm also very interested in this question. I wasn't able to find a good source about the history of the that drawing, but I confess I didn't do that much research...

What puzzles me is that the drawing uses ellipses to represent the orbits, while Bohr's orbits are circular. So in a sense, it doesn't correspond to any actual theory that was proposed about the atom.

It should be pointed out that your original picture is enormously inaccurate regarding the size of the nucleus. It is drawn about five orders of magnitude bigger than its actual size.

Likes DrClaude
DrClaude said:
What puzzles me is that the drawing uses ellipses to represent the orbits, while Bohr's orbits are circular. So in a sense, it doesn't correspond to any actual theory that was proposed about the atom.
A circle viewed obliquely appears elliptical.

Likes DrClaude
DrClaude said:
Didn't Sommerfeld's extension of the original Bohr model use elliptical orbits?

Likes DrClaude

1. Who is credited with drawing the first model of the atom?

The first model of the atom was drawn by John Dalton in the early 1800s. However, his model was later revised by J.J. Thomson, Ernest Rutherford, and Niels Bohr.

2. What did John Dalton's model of the atom look like?

Dalton's model proposed that atoms were tiny, indivisible particles that made up all matter. He depicted atoms as small, solid spheres with no internal structure.

3. How did J.J. Thomson's model of the atom differ from Dalton's?

Thomson's model, known as the "plum pudding" model, proposed that atoms were made up of positively charged material with negatively charged electrons scattered throughout. This was a significant departure from Dalton's solid sphere model.

4. Who discovered the atomic nucleus and what did their model of the atom look like?

Ernest Rutherford is credited with discovering the atomic nucleus in 1911. He proposed a model in which the majority of the atom's mass was concentrated in a small, dense nucleus with electrons orbiting around it.

5. How did Niels Bohr's model of the atom improve upon previous models?

Bohr's model, developed in 1913, incorporated the concept of energy levels, in which electrons could only exist in specific orbits around the nucleus. This model helped to explain the stability of atoms and laid the foundation for modern atomic theory.