Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Who drew the first model of the atom?

1. May 15, 2018 #1
    Does anybody know who first drew (not just described but actually drew, even roughly) a model of the atom like the one below, and when:
    rutherford-atom-for-carbon_lg.jpg
    I'd appreciate it if anybody can point me to an evidence.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2018
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2018 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

4. May 15, 2018 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you searched the Internet for "History of the Atom"?

5. May 16, 2018 #4
    I was hoping someone could point me to sketches like these:
    bohr sketch 1.jpg bohr sketch 2.jpg
    I was told these were sketches done by Bohr but it doesn't quite look like the image I was looking for (the one I posted earlier.) It's a very ubiquitous picture. I see it in almost every logo that has something to do with science. But I can't figure out who really first drew that picture. Was it Bohr? Or Rutherford? Or maybe someone else?

6. May 16, 2018 #5

berkeman

Like the PF logo... :wink:

7. May 16, 2018 #6

russ_watters

I think it *is* just a logo, based on that Bohr sketch on the right.

8. May 16, 2018 #7
    Hahaha! Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't notice that! :smile:
    But, really, I'm curious who made that drawing first and when.

9. May 16, 2018 #8

berkeman

Pretty sure it was @Greg Bernhardt when he updated the forum software about a year ago... :biggrin:

10. May 16, 2018 #9
    But I'm also pretty sure @Greg Bernhardt is too young to have done it first. :rolleyes:

11. May 20, 2018 #10
    The first scientist to have a glimpse of the true nature of the atoms was Rutherford. In his experiments (called the Geiger-Mardsen experiments) in 1908, when using golden foils and alpha particles he was able to determine the localization of the positive part of the atom, as the centre of it, and its distance from the electrons or electronic cloud. According to Rutherford, it looked like a mini-solar system, with the negative electrons spinning around the nucleus (positive) like planets around the sun. Bohr refined this system afterwards, to include his energy-level's theory.

12. May 21, 2018 #11

DrClaude

I'm also very interested in this question. I wasn't able to find a good source about the history of the that drawing, but I confess I didn't do that much research...

What puzzles me is that the drawing uses ellipses to represent the orbits, while Bohr's orbits are circular. So in a sense, it doesn't correspond to any actual theory that was proposed about the atom.

13. May 22, 2018 #12
    It should be pointed out that your original picture is enormously inaccurate regarding the size of the nucleus. It is drawn about five orders of magnitude bigger than its actual size.

14. May 22, 2018 #13

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A circle viewed obliquely appears elliptical.

15. May 22, 2018 #14

jtbell

Didn't Sommerfeld's extension of the original Bohr model use elliptical orbits?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted