Who are the most influential scientists in the history of Math and Physics?

• Thread starter Einshteinlover
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is currently working on their Ph.D. and is grateful for the support they have received. They mention that they have not had much contact with their advisor and are writing their thesis on their own. They plan to include a section on the history of Math/Physics and are seeking advice on which scientists to include. They mention watching Brian Green's nova special in their undergraduate years but have since learned that other scientists, such as Ed Witten and Sheldon Glashow, are more respected in the field. They wonder why these scientists are not as well-known to the general public compared to others like Sagan and Green. The speaker also lists several other influential scientists and asks for suggestions on who to include in their thesis introduction.
Einshteinlover
Hey Everyone ,

I am still working on my Ph.D. thank you all for your support. I have not had much contact with my advisor since my last post, so I am trying to write my thesis on my own :). In my introduction I would like to include a section on the history of Math/Physics and some of the greats who have called this sport their past-time. I watched Brian Greens nova special when I was an undergrad and that's what got me into physics, however, it seems like some people don't have such a high opinion of him. I asked around and it seems like the most respected scientists include Ed Witten, Sheldon Glashow and few others I can't remember. How come i have never heard of these people? Growing up I heard a lot about Sagan, Green, Dawkins and people told me THEY were the best. What is your opioion, I only have enough room for a few scientists and I want them to be top notch.

Enjoy your day :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Those are all very public names, well known to non-scientists. Their job has been making science interesting to a wider audience. Most scientists that are well-established in their field aren't well known by the general public, but are known by other scientists in their field.

What about Newton, Liebnitz, Lagrange, Laplace, Euler, Gauss, Reimann, Hilbert, Einstein, Bohr, Dirac, Heisenberg, Feynman, Dyson, Wheeler, Weinberg...

There are so many. It would help if we knew the focus of your thesis and why you feel this would be a good introduction. Maybe the Giants whose shoulders you are now standing ie the basis of your thesis would be the ones to thank.

1. Who has had more influence: Nature or Nurture?

The debate between nature and nurture has been ongoing for decades. While both nature (genetics) and nurture (environment) play a role in shaping an individual, it is difficult to determine which has more influence. Some studies suggest that genetics contribute about 50% to an individual's traits and behaviors, while the remaining 50% is influenced by the environment.

2. Who has had more influence: Parents or Peers?

Both parents and peers can have a significant influence on an individual. Parents are the primary role models and provide guidance and support during the formative years. Peers, on the other hand, can influence an individual's social behavior, values, and beliefs. It ultimately depends on the individual and their specific relationships with their parents and peers.

3. Who has had more influence: Education or Experience?

Education and experience are both powerful influencers. Education provides individuals with knowledge and skills, while experience allows for the application and refinement of those skills. The two work hand in hand, and it is difficult to determine which has more influence as it varies for each person and situation.

4. Who has had more influence: Leaders or Followers?

Leaders and followers have a symbiotic relationship, and both play a significant role in shaping society. Leaders have the power to influence and inspire change, but they also need followers to support and carry out their vision. Followers, in turn, can influence leaders through their actions and demands. It is a complex dynamic, and it is challenging to determine who has more influence.

5. Who has had more influence: Technology or Culture?

Technology and culture are constantly evolving and shaping each other. Technology has the power to change the way we live, communicate, and interact with the world, while culture influences our values, beliefs, and behaviors. It is difficult to determine which has more influence as they both play a significant role in shaping society.