Who's Ready for a PF Instant Messenger Clique?

• Thread starter brewnog
  • Start date
In summary, this person is proposing a new way for people to communicate: by using instant messaging services. They suggest that people use this new way of communication to avoid the awkwardness that comes with looking at other people's profiles. They also suggest that people use this new way of communication to work together as a group.
brewnog
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Right. Gale's "bring back the chatroom!" campaign didn't seem to go down too well, so here's my plan, Stan.

We all spend too long on here, that's an undisputed fact. I guess most of us use some sort of instant messaging thing, so why not combine the two?! I PROPOSE A NEW CLIQUE! (Rhymes with squeak.)

If you use some kind of instant messenger contraption, say so here, and then people can PM anyone they want on their list to give them their user name or whatever. That way, we don't have to feel creepy looking at peoples' user profiles and stuff. It can all be out in the open, and we don't have to feel guilty. There's nothing to be ashamed of, honestly. Unless you're over the age of, urm, 25, in which case you probably should be ashamed of yourself...

Those of you who use PF to skive off work for hours on end (you know who-onbear you are!) and who might get fired, well, it serves you right. Get back to work, and stop checking up on Franzbear or whatever you're doing.

This is what you've got to say:

"I'm brewnog and I want to be a member of the new instant messenging clique!"

There, easy isn't it?
Danger yomamma, remember to replace "brewnog" with your own name

Physics news on Phys.org
What? (over 25 and didn't understand the quetion) :rolleyes:

If you're over 25, you may join in, don't worry Evo...

If you want people to PM you to ask you for your instant messagey user name, then people can talk to each other on msn or aol messenger or whatever. Am I making no sense? Has the beer gone to my head?

I think I'm 26 now, so I guess I'm out.

That seems kind of weird to me. Of course the average person can talk, or find someone of interest. But personally I think the chatroom idea is better, or maybe an irc channel, both the same I guess. With IMing it just seems kind of weird to talk 1 on 1 about smurf's sexuality.

brewnog said:
If you use some kind of instant messenger contraption, say so here, and then people can PM anyone they want on their list to give them their user name or whatever. That way, we don't have to feel creepy looking at peoples' user profiles and stuff. It can all be out in the open, and we don't have to feel guilty.
Why would you feel guilty about looking at someone's user profile? That's what it's there for! Everyone can choose to put as much or as little personal info in their profile as they want. Personally, I don't use instant messaging (im iz kewl but it cre8s bad writin habits u no?), but I listed my homepage in my profile with the full expectation that people (gasp, even people I don't know!) might see it there and check it out.

jma2001 said:
Why would you feel guilty about looking at someone's user profile? That's what it's there for! Everyone can choose to put as much or as little personal info in their profile as they want. Personally, I don't use instant messaging (im iz kewl but it cre8s bad writin habits u no?), but I listed my homepage in my profile with the full expectation that people (gasp, even people I don't know!) might see it there and check it out.

Yeah, ok, the sarcasm really doesn't travel well in, um, cyberspace.

I suppose that's what these little chaps are for... :wink: :wink:

brewnog said:
If you're over 25, you may join in

I think that's age discrimination and I am oh so deeply offended.

Oh for Pete's sake I wish I'd never started this stupid damned thread!

brewnog said:
Oh for Pete's sake I wish I'd never started this stupid damned thread!
Serves you right, you wanker! You told me that you were going to sleep. :-p

edit: Hey, wait a second here! If you're still awake, is that why the sheep aren't showing up on time?

Last edited:
brewnog said:
Unless you're over the age of, urm, 25, in which case you probably should be ashamed of yourself...
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Those of you who use PF to skive off work for hours on end (you know who-onbear you are!)
And that one too!

Anywho, I finally have myself on some IM services, they're all updated and I think working and everything. You can set up a group on at least some of them and everyone chat as a group. My yahoo one is listed in my profile (if you want me to add you to my buddy list, you have to actually tell me your PF username when you ask to be added or else I'm going to mash that ignore button if I don't recognize your nickname...nearly blocked out one person already, but I was in a curious mood).

If you don't want to use yahoo, I've got some others lying around here that I might use if the right people ask. :-p But, unlike PF, I don't keep IM open all the time, so you have to tell me approximately when to expect you (that's so I can make sure all the undies are picked up off the floor before you show up :smile:).

If a lot of people use AIM, then a PF chatroom on AIM can be made. On other forums which I attend this is exactly what is done everynight :P

brewnog said:
If you're over 25, you may join in

umm...can I join in? I'll get a fake ID that says I'm 25...believe me...I can hook that up...

i use aim but i still think irc a better way to go

Kakarot said:
i use aim but i still think irc a better way to go

Definitely.

I am up for this, sounds like a plan batman

Im andy and i want to be a member of this new instant messenger clique.

Andy said:
I am up for this, sounds like a plan batman

Im andy and i want to be a member of this new instant messenger clique.

Finally! :smile:

Only to cheer you up.

I guess I don't get what IM has to do with PF? You're going to discuss threads by IM instead of at PF? Or this has nothing to do with PF, you just want to PM each other? :confused: How is this different from what you can do today? I must be missing the point.

In that case, we can invade Zz's IRC channel!

IM must have a chat function so people at PF can participate in real time chat. It is another alternative because the chat room was removed from PF. Did I get that right?

The reason I'm game for this plan is because i personally find the threads abit boring. Call me an old boring bastard but they're not as fun as the old days.

Huckleberry said:
IM must have a chat function so people at PF can participate in real time chat. It is another alternative because the chat room was removed from PF. Did I get that right?

Yeah, something like that. I just thought it would be nice. I've been talking to a few PFers over the internet lately, it's a good way to avoid revision!

Not everyone wants to put their instant messenger name on public display for various reasons.

get to off topic when using instant messenger without having EVO tell you off.

Related to Who's Ready for a PF Instant Messenger Clique?

1. What is "Who's Ready for a PF Instant Messenger Clique?"

"Who's Ready for a PF Instant Messenger Clique?" is a virtual group or community where people can connect and communicate with each other using a specific instant messaging platform called PF Instant Messenger.

2. How can I join "Who's Ready for a PF Instant Messenger Clique?"

To join "Who's Ready for a PF Instant Messenger Clique?", you will need to have a PF Instant Messenger account. Once you have an account, you can search for the group and request to join. The group administrator will then approve your request and you will become a member of the clique.

3. Can anyone join "Who's Ready for a PF Instant Messenger Clique?"

Yes, anyone who has a PF Instant Messenger account can join the clique. However, the group administrator may have specific requirements or criteria for potential members.

4. What are the benefits of joining "Who's Ready for a PF Instant Messenger Clique?"

Joining "Who's Ready for a PF Instant Messenger Clique?" allows you to connect with like-minded individuals who share similar interests, ideas, or goals. It also provides a platform for instant communication and networking opportunities.

5. Is there a fee for joining "Who's Ready for a PF Instant Messenger Clique?"

No, there is no fee for joining "Who's Ready for a PF Instant Messenger Clique?". The group is free to join and use for all members.