Is Sylvia Plath's method of suicide preferable to Virginia Woolf's?

• Thread starter sylviaplath
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of time management and how to effectively prioritize tasks. The speakers discussed various methods and tips for staying organized and focused, including creating to-do lists and setting specific goals. They also emphasized the importance of taking breaks and avoiding multitasking. Overall, the conversation highlighted the importance of being proactive and intentional with time management in order to achieve success.
sylviaplath
I loved her book The Bell Jar. Unfortunately she committed suicide like Virginia Woolf. Any feminists here, or any critics who do not like Sylvia Plath?

Discuss

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't recall how Woolf committed suicide, can you refresh me on this?

Plath gassed herself. Woolf put rocks in her pockets and jumped in a river. I prefer Hemingway's method - messy, but less chance of botching it.

1. What is "Who Likes Sylvia Plath?"

"Who Likes Sylvia Plath?" is a poem written by American poet Anne Sexton. It was published in her 1962 collection "All My Pretty Ones".

2. What is the meaning behind "Who Likes Sylvia Plath?"

The poem explores the theme of identity and the struggle to be accepted and liked by society. The speaker, who is assumed to be Sexton herself, questions whether anyone truly likes the real version of her, alluding to the struggles and inner turmoil of the poet Sylvia Plath.

3. Why is Sylvia Plath mentioned in the title?

Sylvia Plath was an influential American poet who wrote about similar themes of identity and societal expectations. Sexton was a close friend and contemporary of Plath, and it is believed that her struggles and eventual suicide influenced Sexton's writing.

4. What is the structure of "Who Likes Sylvia Plath?"

The poem is written in free verse with no set rhyme scheme or meter. It is divided into three stanzas, each with a different tone and focus. The first stanza sets the scene and introduces the theme, the second dives into the speaker's thoughts and feelings, and the third offers a resolution or conclusion.

5. How does "Who Likes Sylvia Plath?" relate to Anne Sexton's other works?

Sexton's poetry often explores themes of mental illness, gender roles, and societal expectations, and "Who Likes Sylvia Plath?" is no exception. It fits into her larger body of work as a reflection of her personal struggles and the larger issues she grappled with throughout her life.