Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Who really invented Liquid Paper?

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Bette Nesmith Graham is credited with the invention but she had help. Anyone know who and why she needed the help?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  4. Nov 15, 2007 #3

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd go with what Evo says, except that the old liquid paper had solvents that folks did not just happen upon at the corner store. Evo, did she have courses in Chemistry?

See this page for a hint about what I mean:

http://www.liquidpaper.com/main.taf?p=5&q=3
    I think the solvent was an ether - definitely not diethyl ether, but I'm not sure. Obviously it was toxic/explosive or both toxic && explosive. It doesn't pass OSHA muster nowadays. But then, when I was a kid, every paint (with driers) known to man, had lead based driers. Boy, those paint chips had real flavor back then. The modern ones are no good they need, um, they need salt or something. um.

5. Nov 15, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Both of you are close. Her original product dissolved the ink from the paper and caused an off white spot. She got help from a fabulous chemist to perfect her idea. Any idea who?

6. Nov 15, 2007 #5

Evo

Are you talking later on when she patented the formula? The only reference I've seen to a chemist after her product started getting popular is to an un-named highschool chemistry teacher.

White out would smear the ink, and it still does so today if you rub the whiteout back and forth.

7. Nov 15, 2007 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, someone helped perfect her idea which made it a salable product.

8. Nov 15, 2007 #7

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay. Upon further googling, her son Michael Nesmith, had a Chemistry teacher in high school. He collobarated with her on LP. caveat: This is wickedpedia speaking. All the other sites are essentially devoid of information or disinformation about LQ.

I see no mention of a putatively famous chemist though. Any futher googlage will require your fingers, not mine.

9. Nov 15, 2007 #8

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The original (not the one Nesmith Graham developed independently) had chlorinated solvents which are toxic. The new formula doesn't have them.

10. Nov 15, 2007 #9

Evo

So you are claiming someone else also invented a type of "white-out", but not the famous one which became liquid paper that Graham invented by herself? That's a completely different question.

What was the name of this other independantly invented product? Did it ever sell?

11. Nov 15, 2007 #10

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, I'm saying that the Wiki article is wrong (gasp). It wasn't her son's high school chemistry teacher.

12. Nov 15, 2007 #11

Evo

This is the first time you've mentioned wikipedia. I haven't read the wiki article. The only reference I've seen to a high school teacher is this on the Liquid paper site. It doesn't mention it being her son's teacher.

13. Nov 15, 2007 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

jim mentioned the wiki.

If I had one guess, I'd go with Cotton.

Incidentally, Michael Nesmith is the Michael Nesmith of The Monkees!!

14. Nov 15, 2007 #13

Evo

Gokul invented White-Out! (He's much older than he leads us to believe).

15. Nov 15, 2007 #14

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The inventor was indeed a Chemistry teacher (at a local university) but his day job was as a professional chemist.

http://www.women-inventors.com/Bette-Nesmith-Graham.asp
    A minor correction here. Graham didn't continue to experiment with the makeup of the substance until she achieved the perfect combination of paint and several other chemicals but, rather, caused it to be done by another. And then patented the improvement and the rest is history.

16. Nov 15, 2007 #15

Evo

So, you're saying Graham did not invent White-Out/Liquid paper? Please post a link to where you are getting this information. I've only seen Graham credited with inventing the product ALONE. Subsequent improvements had input from others, so what?

You first said she had help, then you said some chemistry teacher invented an alternative to it, now you're saying some chemistry teacher invented it. I can find nothing to back up either of your claims that she did not invent it.

17. Nov 15, 2007 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Evo, I think Chemistree is asking us a trivia question (probably from personal experience).

Cotton is wrong. Who is it?

18. Nov 15, 2007 #17

Evo

Read my last post. He keeps changing who invents what. He's not making any sense.

Chemistree if you are saying that it's not true that Graham invented the original product, then you need to back that up.

If you mean to ask if anyone knows the name of the chemist that later helped her, then ask that.

19. Nov 15, 2007 #18

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I never said that. I said that she had help.
    What happened to the chemistry teacher that you mentioned in post #5 and #11?

So, by law she must include the chemist as a co-inventor.
    I'm saying that a professional chemist developed the formula that she ultimately sold to Gillette. And yes, that professional chemist also taught night courses at a local university.

Google found it for me.

20. Nov 15, 2007 #19

Evo

You said it in these two posts
    I have no idea, you were the one asking who helped her in your OP.

No, someone that either volunteers advice or is paid for advice on IMPROVEMENTS to a product already being sold is NOT a co-inventor.

So what? That happens to be posted in the FAQ on the Liquid Paper site. Apparently he doesn't get credit for much. And neither does the office supplier or the painter. I don't get what your point is. Are you saying that the chemist is claiming he should be recognized more? That he was somehow cheated? I don't see any such claims. :confused:

Seriously, most products on the market have been improved upon after they were invented. The people that made the improvements are not retroactively credited with being the inventor.

21. Nov 15, 2007 #20
    Did she?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?