Who's got Language, Proof, and Logic by Barwise and Etchemendy?

In summary: The cost of the book is not bad for the jist of it, it looks like a book on formal logic...how does the language part play into it(my conception of language comes from that seen in language theory in computational studies ie FSM/PDAs/TURING) is there more to language theory then those that i listed?In summary, the author is going back to school to get an MS in mathematics and is looking for someone to help study the LPL book. There are various resources available online, such as lecture notes based on the book and a software program that comes with it. The book is available for free online, and the authors consider it a language.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
As I noted in my latest Journal entry, I am going back to school next Fall for an MS degree in mathematics. There are some courses I feel that I can safely skip if I do some independent review, and the "Foundations of Mathematics" is one of them.

To help enable me to do this, I would like to start a group study of the LPL book. Does anyone else out there have it? There are various resources available online, such as...

http://www-csli.stanford.edu/LPL/
Lecture Notes based on the book.
http://ssdi.di.fct.unl.pt/lei/lc/0102/lpl textbook.pdf in PDF Form (caution: it's a whopping 3.72 MB)

However, you do have to have the book and the software that comes with it to do the exercises.

So, who's interested?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
software that comes with a logic book? cool what's on it? How much is the book (CDN$)? And is it like any other language theory and computability book or is it pure logic?

neurocomp2003 said:
software that comes with a logic book? cool what's on it?

There are 4 programs on the CD, each of which perform a different function in the homework exercises. One evaluates truth tables and another evaluates formal proofs for validity. I don't know what the other two do, because I haven't started playing with them yet. But I do know that you can send your solutions to the LPL homepage and their "Grade Grinder" will automatically and instantly grade your homework for you.

How much is the book (CDN$)?

Here's the ad at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157586374X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

And is it like any other language theory and computability book or is it pure logic?

The textbook itself is actually available online for free. I've just added a link to it in my first post, in case anyone wants to thumb through it. I guess the authors aren't too concerned about anyone getting the book for free since it isn't of much use without the CD.

Last edited by a moderator:
tahts an expensive book...for the jist of it, it looks like a book on formal logic...how does the language part play into it(my conception of language comes from that seen in language theory in computational studies ie FSM/PDAs/TURING) is there more to language theory then those that i listed?

The subject of the book is first order logic, and the authors do consider it a language.

I just went to the link. Clicked on "used" and bought one in very good condition with the CD for $3.08. Not bad if you don't insist on NEW.
I've bought a number of used books and CD's from Amazon and have never been disppointed.

1. What is Language, Proof, and Logic by Barwise and Etchemendy?

Language, Proof, and Logic is a textbook and software package that teaches the principles of logic and formal reasoning. It was written by Jon Barwise and John Etchemendy and is widely used in introductory logic courses.

2. Who is Barwise and Etchemendy?

Jon Barwise and John Etchemendy were two prominent philosophers and logicians who co-authored Language, Proof, and Logic. Barwise was a professor at Indiana University, and Etchemendy was a professor at Stanford University.

3. What topics are covered in Language, Proof, and Logic?

The textbook covers topics such as propositional logic, predicate logic, natural deduction, proof theory, model theory, and computability. It also includes chapters on programming in the language of logic and using the accompanying software to practice and test understanding of the material.

4. What is the software package included with the textbook?

The software package includes four programs: Tarski's World, Fitch, Boole, and Submit. Tarski's World is a program that allows users to build and manipulate models of simple languages. Fitch is a proof editor and checker for natural deduction proofs. Boole is a program for constructing and evaluating truth tables, and Submit is used to submit exercises and exams for grading.

5. Is Language, Proof, and Logic suitable for self-study?

While the textbook and software are designed for use in a classroom setting, they can also be used for self-study. The software provides immediate feedback and correction, making it a useful tool for independent learning. However, it is recommended to supplement the material with additional resources and seek guidance from an instructor or tutor if needed.