1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why -3db frequency shows 45degree phase shift?

1. Apr 10, 2007 #1
    help me guys....
    i reall need the answer ASAP....:cry:
    Thanx in advance..

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2007 #2
    In a simple RC filter yes.

4. Apr 10, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Write the transfer equation for a simple RC lowpass filter as lpfr suggests, using complex impedances. Then solve for the frequency where the magnitude of the transfer function is:

[tex]\frac{V_o}{V_i} = -6dB [/tex]

or

[tex]\frac{P_o}{P_i} = -3dB [/tex]

and then plug that frequency back into the transfer function equation to find the phase shift at the -3dB point. Show us your work.

EDIT -- fixed a power versus voltage error that I had in the transfer function equations.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  5. Apr 10, 2007 #4
    thanx...really apperitiate if u guys can explain to me in deapth..:smile:

6. Apr 11, 2007 #5

berkeman

We'd be happy to. Show us your work in writing the equations that I mentioned, and then we can start discussing them if you don't get something. Again, we do not do your work here on the PF -- you need to show your work here, in order to get our help.

7. Apr 11, 2007 #6
    the question is:

why we choose -3db as a corner frequency?
    why -3db show 45 degree phase shift?

8. Apr 11, 2007 #7
    i just need your help to enhance my answer.

9. Apr 11, 2007 #8

berkeman

AFAIK, -3dB power (or -6dB voltage) is just a handy convention for the "corner" frequency. Although the -45 degree phase shift may be the reason that it is the handy convention.

For you to give a good answer to these questions, you need to do the math that I described. You will see why the -45 degree phase shift corresponds to a -3dB in power for the transfer function, or equivalently a -6dB in the voltage transfer function.

BTW, I see now that I was careless and showed -3dB in the voltage tranfer function. I've gone back and corrected that. in my previous post in this thread.

10. Apr 11, 2007 #9

berkeman

11. Apr 14, 2007 #10
    There is a 45 degree shift because R=C at fc. So the circuit is neither capacitive nor resistive. arctan -Xc/R where Xc=R so arctan -Xc/R == arctan -1 ==-45deg.
    that was a little shortcutish way.

real angle derivation is from the transfer function berke is talking about. vo/vi. you will find the angle to be -90 - arctan -Xc/R for lowpass RC.

hope that was helpful.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?