Why Absolute Zero is Independent of Substance Properties

In summary: I think what the syllabus statement means is that the various practical types of thermometer will give different temperature scales that, when extrapolated downwards, will not coincide at the bottom end. The Kelvin Scale of temperatures is based on a more basic (thermodynamic) idea that ignores the deviations that you get with 'real' thermometers e.g Platinum Resistance, Gas, Mercury in Glass, Alcohol which are based on different physical properties of substances.
alex36
Why absolute zero of temperature doesn't depend upon properties of substance?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you mean, can you clarify your question?

If you heat a piece of metal to 100 degrees how is that temperature any different than heating a piece of glass to 100 degrees, or a piece of wood ?

And by the way, "absolute zero" is not believed to be achievable in reality.

phinds said:
I don't understand what you mean, can you clarify your question?

If you heat a piece of metal to 100 degrees how is that temperature any different than heating a piece of glass to 100 degrees, or a piece of wood ?

And by the way, "absolute zero" is not believed to be achievable in reality.
In my syllabus its written "understand that there is an absolute scale of temperature that does not depend on the property of any particular substance"

alex36 said:
Why absolute zero of temperature doesn't depend upon properties of substance?

do you wish to say that temperature of a body is not absolute and is defined with respect to material/substances?
do you say 50 degree of water or hydrogen... or you have scale of measurements including thermodynamic scale.

drvrm said:
do you wish to say that temperature of a body is not absolute and is defined with respect to material/substances?
do you say 50 degree of water or hydrogen... or you have scale of measurements including thermodynamic scale.
-273K is called absolute 0 temperature where there is no any kinetic energy in molecule . Practically it doesn't exist but theoretically it does . So, my question is why absolute zero temperature doesnot depend upon property of particular substance.

alex36 said:
In my syllabus its written "understand that there is an absolute scale of temperature that does not depend on the property of any particular substance"
Exactly. Just as there is a scale of length that does not depend on what you are measuring.

alex36 said:
-273K is called absolute 0 temperature where there is no any kinetic energy in molecule . Practically it doesn't exist but theoretically it does . So, my question is why absolute zero temperature doesnot depend upon property of particular substance.
See post #2

phinds said:
Exactly. Just as there is a scale of length that does not depend on what you are measuring.
That was too easy ! thanks man

Maybe it's easiest to understand in contrast to the Celsius scale. 0 degrees C was once defined as the freezing point of water at one atmosphere. You don't need water to have something at 0 degrees C, but people originally agreed to build the scale around properties of water. The 0 point of Kelvin does not depend on any special substance. It is a universal property.

alex36 said:

I think what the syllabus statement means is that the various practical types of thermometer will give different temperature scales that, when extrapolated downwards, will not coincide at the bottom end. The Kelvin Scale of temperatures is based on a more basic (thermodynamic) idea that ignores the deviations that you get with 'real' thermometers e.g Platinum Resistance, Gas, Mercury in Glass, Alcohol which are based on different physical properties of substances.

1. Why is absolute zero considered to be independent of substance properties?

Absolute zero is defined as the lowest possible temperature, at which all molecular motion ceases. This temperature is independent of substance properties because it is a fundamental physical constant that is determined by the laws of thermodynamics and the behavior of particles in a system.

2. Can absolute zero be achieved in any substance?

No, absolute zero cannot be achieved in any substance. It is only a theoretical concept and has never been reached in a laboratory setting. The closest scientists have been able to get to absolute zero is a few billionths of a degree above it.

3. How does absolute zero relate to the Kelvin scale?

The Kelvin scale is based on absolute zero as its zero point, with each degree representing the same size interval as the Celsius scale. This means that absolute zero is equal to 0 Kelvin (0K) and all other temperatures in Kelvin are represented as positive numbers.

4. Does the concept of absolute zero apply to all substances equally?

Yes, the concept of absolute zero applies to all substances equally. It is a fundamental physical constant that is not affected by the specific properties of a substance, such as its molecular structure or chemical composition.

5. Can absolute zero ever be surpassed?

No, absolute zero cannot be surpassed. It is the lowest possible temperature and represents the point at which all molecular motion stops. Going below absolute zero would violate the laws of thermodynamics and is not physically possible.