Why am I subtracting/adding normal force?

In summary, to calculate the tension of a string when a ball is at the top or bottom of its path, we use the formula Fr=mv^2/r and take into account the directionality of the vectors involved. At the top of the circle, we subtract the gravitational force from the centripetal force and tension, while at the bottom we add them together. This is because at the top, the acceleration is downward while at the bottom, it is upward. Therefore, the tension at the top is 8.6 Newtons and at the bottom is 2.76 Newtons.
gibson101
For the following question, I am given the weight of a ball being twirled on a string, the radius of the string, and the velocity. And I am asked to calculate the tension of the string when the ball is at the top of it's path, and the bottom of it's path. I know that tension is a centripetal force so I used the formula Fr=mv^2/r and then added or subtracted mg (normal force = mg). I don't understand why I am subtracting mg when the ball is at the top, nor adding at the bottom, since the centripetal force and normal force are in opposite directions at the bottom then I would think I would subtract them then. And now that I think about it, there isn't a normal force, cause the normal force is always perpendicular to the surface that the object is on, but there is no surface! Can someone please enlighten me on this! Thanks.

((.3)(3.9)^2/(.8)) + or - (.3)(9.8) = 8.6 or 2.76 Newtons

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-04 at 8.06.01 PM.JPEG
    Screen shot 2011-06-04 at 8.06.01 PM.JPEG
    14.7 KB · Views: 600
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, don't consider normal forces since in your case, there is no normal force; you just have your centripetal force and gravity.

Remember, what you're looking at is [itex] m\vec a = \Sigma \vec F[/itex].

You have circular motion so you know the left hand side is [itex] m{{v^2}\over{r}}[/itex] in magnitude. Look at both cases and remember the directionality of your vectors.

Top of the circle:

At the top of the circle, your total acceleration must be downward correct? So that's a negative value. The gravitational force is downward so that's negative (I assume 'g' is +9.80m/s^2). The tension must be down as well. So Newton's 2nd Law reads:

[tex]-m{{v^2}\over{r}} = -T - mg[/tex]

Isolate T and you have your answer.

Bottom of the circle:

Now in this case, the acceleration must be pointing up right? So the left hand side is positive this time. Gravity is still going down so it has a negative and the tension must be going up so it's positive. So the 2nd law reads:

[tex]m{{v^2}\over{r}} = T - mg[/tex]

Now do you see why you add and why you subtract?

1. Why do I need to consider normal force when calculating the motion of an object?

Normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. This force is perpendicular to the surface and helps to support the weight of the object. When calculating the motion of an object, it is important to consider the normal force as it affects the overall forces acting on the object and can impact its acceleration and velocity.

2. What is the difference between adding and subtracting normal force?

When adding normal force, it is being considered as a positive force that is acting in the same direction as the motion of the object. This is usually the case when the object is moving on a horizontal surface. On the other hand, when subtracting normal force, it is being considered as a negative force that is acting in the opposite direction of the motion. This is typically seen when the object is moving on an inclined surface.

3. How do normal force and gravitational force interact with each other?

Normal force and gravitational force are two opposite forces that often work together to determine the motion of an object. Normal force acts in the opposite direction of gravity and helps to balance out the weight of the object. In some cases, such as when an object is on an incline, normal force may also have a component that acts parallel to gravity, influencing the net force and resulting in acceleration.

4. Is normal force always present in a situation?

Normal force is present whenever an object is in contact with a surface. However, its magnitude may vary depending on the situation. For example, if an object is placed on a horizontal surface, the normal force will be equal to the weight of the object. But if the object is placed on an inclined surface, the normal force will be less than the weight of the object, as it is only supporting the component of the weight that is perpendicular to the surface.

5. How does normal force affect the apparent weight of an object?

The normal force helps to balance out the weight of an object, making it feel lighter or heavier depending on the situation. For example, when standing on a floor, the normal force from the floor acts upwards and balances out the gravitational force on your body, resulting in your apparent weight being equal to your actual weight. However, if you were to stand on a scale in an elevator that is accelerating upwards, the normal force from the scale would be less than your actual weight, resulting in a decrease in your apparent weight.