Why are complex numbers represented on a plane?

In summary, complex numbers have a unique way of defining multiplication that involves rotations, which has significant consequences such as the existence of a multiplicative inverse and nth roots. This also allows for the concept of a complex derivative, which has surprising properties such as the convergence of Taylor series and the simplification of line integrals. This makes the complex plane a useful and powerful tool in mathematics.
Destroxia
So I know that a complex number can be represented by ##z=x+iy##, where ## z = x + iy \in \mathbb{C}##.

Would it be okay to then state that ## z = x + iy \in \mathbb{C} := (x,y) \in \mathbb{R}^2 ##?

If we can just look at complex numbers as coordinates in ##\mathbb{R}^2## what is the point of even defining a complex plane? (just started learning these math logic notations, so pardon me if my intuition is incorrect)

Science news on Phys.org
RyanTAsher said:
If we can just look at complex numbers as coordinates in R2\mathbb{R}^2 what is the point of even defining a complex plane?
multiplication

Likes FactChecker
And mapping a function f(z) = w onto a companion complex plane which consists of the points w = u + i v

wrobel said:
multiplication

Okay, but couldn't you just use properties of vectors in ##\mathbb{R}^2##, and treat each point as a position vector?

RyanTAsher said:
Okay, but couldn't you just use properties of vectors in ##\mathbb{R}^2##, and treat each point as a position vector?
It's a lot less abstract with a simple graphical representation.

Also, it makes finding all the roots of zn + k = 0 a snap.

SteamKing said:
And mapping a function f(z) = w onto a companion complex plane which consists of the points w = u + i v

So there would be no way to map a ##\mathbb{R}^2## vector function onto another companion plane of ##\mathbb{R}^2## ? I feel like I'm not understanding something...

RyanTAsher said:
So there would be no way to map a ##\mathbb{R}^2## vector function onto another companion plane of ##\mathbb{R}^2## ? I feel like I'm not understanding something...
Look, these are ways of simplifying things. Why do you want to make stuff harder than it should be?

We could replace plane geometry with analytic geometry and make the former 10 times harder than it already is. What would be the point?

Likes jim mcnamara
The most important difference between C and R2 is the way multiplication is defined. For any complex number, z, multiplying other numbers by z will rotate them by the argument of z. Vectors in R2 don't have anything simple like that. Making a connection between the fundamental geometric property of rotations and the fundamental algebraic property of multiplication has profound consequences. For instance:
1) Every nonzero complex number z has a multiplicative inverse. (Just like every rotation has a rotation in the opposite direction. Likewise for the scaling.)
2) Every nonzero complex number z has an n'th root. (Just like every rotation can be done in n smaller rotations. Likewise for the scaling.)
3) The complex derivative of a complex values function, f, can be defined mimicking derivatives of real functions. The existence of a complex derivative in a disk has surprising consequences:
a) All higher order derivatives exist in the disk.
b) The Taylor series converges in the disk and represents the function.
c) The value of line integrals within the disk have simple values. Loop integrals are 0. Other line integrals from a to b are independent of the line path between a and b.
d) Maximums and minimums of the real and imaginary parts of f occur on the circumference of the disk.
e) The values of the function inside the disk is completely determined by its values on the circumference of the disk.

SteamKing said:
Look, these are ways of simplifying things. Why do you want to make stuff harder than it should be?

We could replace plane geometry with analytic geometry and make the former 10 times harder than it already is. What would be the point?

I just didn't really see the difference, because I've just started complex analysis, they seemed like the same process to me, not one was more simple than the other. I think I understand a bit now.

FactChecker said:
The most important difference between C and R2 is the way multiplication is defined. For any complex number, z, multiplying other numbers by z will rotate them by the argument of z. Vectors in R2 don't have anything simple like that. Making a connection between the fundamental geometric property of rotations and the fundamental algebraic property of multiplication has profound consequences. For instance:
1) Every nonzero complex number z has a multiplicative inverse. (Just like every rotation has a rotation in the opposite direction. Likewise for the scaling.)
2) Every nonzero complex number z has an n'th root. (Just like every rotation can be done in n smaller rotations. Likewise for the scaling.)
3) The complex derivative of a complex values function, f, can be defined mimicking derivatives of real functions. The existence of a complex derivative in a disk has surprising consequences:
a) All higher order derivatives exist in the disk.
b) The Taylor series converges in the disk and represents the function.
c) The value of line integrals within the disk have simple values. Loop integrals are 0. Other line integrals from a to b are independent of the line path between a and b.
d) Maximums and minimums of the real and imaginary parts of f occur on the circumference of the disk.
e) The values of the function inside the disk is completely determined by its values on the circumference of the disk.

Thank you for this list, the concept of the rotation of values makes the difference a lot more clear to me, also the part on line integrals.

Related to Why are complex numbers represented on a plane?

1. What is the complex plane?

The complex plane, also known as the Argand plane, is a geometric representation of the complex numbers. It consists of two axes, the real axis (horizontal) and the imaginary axis (vertical), and each point on the plane corresponds to a unique complex number.

2. How is the complex plane defined?

The complex plane is defined as a two-dimensional coordinate system, where the horizontal axis represents the real part of a complex number and the vertical axis represents the imaginary part. The origin (0,0) on the complex plane corresponds to the complex number 0+0i.

3. What is the significance of the complex plane?

The complex plane is significant because it allows for the graphical representation of complex numbers and their operations, making it easier to understand and visualize complex mathematical concepts. It is also used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to model and solve real-world problems.

4. What is the relationship between the complex plane and the Cartesian plane?

The complex plane is closely related to the Cartesian plane, as both use a horizontal and vertical axis to represent two-dimensional coordinates. However, the Cartesian plane deals with real numbers, while the complex plane deals with complex numbers. The real axis on the complex plane is equivalent to the x-axis on the Cartesian plane, and the imaginary axis is equivalent to the y-axis.

5. How is the complex plane used in complex analysis?

The complex plane is used extensively in complex analysis to study the properties and behavior of complex-valued functions. It enables the visual representation of complex functions and their geometric interpretations, which can aid in understanding their behavior and making calculations easier.